Questions about feature launch process

Eric Huang

Nov 4, 2021, 9:04:34 PM11/4/21
to blink-api-ow...@chromium.org
Hi,

I am contributing a CSS feature to Blink, the reviewer requires me to send a Intent to Ship email.

The issue is to support keyword format at @font-face src property: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1242683

I am not sure if I need to go though those processes defined in Launching Features document before sending the email since it's a small change, or I can directly send the email using email templates.

Many thanks,
Eric Huang

Daniel Bratell

Nov 5, 2021, 4:25:20 AM11/5/21
to Eric Huang, blink-api-ow...@chromium.org

Assuming you are talking about the list at https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features, the steps for "Implementations of already-defined consensus-based standards", which I think applies here (?), seem reasonable, though you might be able to skim the first steps.

You should use ChromeStatus. It's strongly recommended (possibly even mandated but I'm not 100% sure about this) that developer visible changes get an entry there. It will ensure your change gets much better visibility and ends up in blog posts listing developer visible changes.

For the steps, or fields, which you think do not apply, explain why they do not apply. For instance, requesting signals directly from other vendors would be unnecessary if it's something they implemented long ago.

The reason we do this is to make sure we don't make mistakes that will hurt users, developers, the web platform and the Chromium project. Consider it based on lessons learned.

/Daniel