Process for removing C++ APIs from third_party/blink/public/platform/platform.h

Sam Zackrisson

Jul 13, 2021, 9:42:21 AM7/13/21
to blink-api-owners-discuss, Olga Sharonova
Hi,

I am maintaining code including two small C++ APIs in Blink's public/platform/ folder:

1) blink::Platform::GetWebRTCAudioProcessingConfiguration() [1]
2) blink::Platform::GetAgcStartupMinimumVolume() [2]

Is there any process or PSA necessary before removing functions like these, since they live in public/?

Details
These APIs were not intended to be exposed for wide usage.
  • #1 was added without any real understanding of the possible implications of having code living in public/ (my bad).
  • #2 is an abstraction of a commandline flag, added as part of onion souping code in content/ into blink/.
  • Neither feature was announced in any way, not is it in any way accessible via web APIs in the way covered by https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features#TOC-Feature-deprecations.
I am in contact with the client that API #1 was added for, and they are no longer using it.
The existence of these APIs complicates ongoing work to move some blink code into media/.

Kind regards

Daniel Bratell

Jul 14, 2021, 4:52:14 AM7/14/21
to Sam Zackrisson, blink-api-owners-discuss, Olga Sharonova

Not really. "Public" in this case is an artifact of when Blink was a black box with an external C++ API using non-Blink types and doesn't mean that they are exposed to the web developers.

So you just need to make sure they are unused and get a code review and then you are done.

/Daniel

Mike West

Jul 14, 2021, 5:04:28 AM7/14/21
to Daniel Bratell, Sam Zackrisson, blink-api-owners-discuss, Olga Sharonova
+1 to Daniel's comments.

Blink's public API surface is not web-exposed, nor is it something we consider to be a reasonable embedding layer (embedders will have a much better time using the APIs exposed at //content/public). If we don't need a particular Blink //public/platform API anymore, you should feel free to remove it without any approvals other than normal code-review.

-mike

Sam Zackrisson

Jul 14, 2021, 10:04:01 AM7/14/21
to Mike West, Daniel Bratell, blink-api-owners-discuss, Olga Sharonova
Thank you both, that clarifies (and simplifies) things a bit.

- Sam