Ask about code owners in I2P?

Rick Byers

Nov 16, 2022, 3:12:22 PM11/16/22
to blink-api-owners-discuss
Hey,
I've heard some people mention that sometimes API owner support on an I2P thread can put code OWNERS in an awkward position. We all know that our role as API owners isn't to decide whether we like an API or not, but to help folks understand what's necessary to meet chromium's bar for shipping a new API. Code OWNERS ultimately decide what code can land in chromium.

I'm thinking I'll try to be more careful on I2P threads and, where it's not clear the sender represents relevant code OWNERS, just ask if there's been discussion with any of them yet. WDYT?

Rick

Yoav Weiss

Nov 17, 2022, 10:15:33 PM11/17/22
to Rick Byers, blink-api-owners-discuss
On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 9:12 PM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hey,
I've heard some people mention that sometimes API owner support on an I2P thread can put code OWNERS in an awkward position.

Personally, I think it can be healthy for Chromium project members to respectfully disagree in public. So I don't really see why API owners supporting something that the code owners don't would put the latter in an awkward position.

We all know that our role as API owners isn't to decide whether we like an API or not, but to help folks understand what's necessary to meet chromium's bar for shipping a new API. Code OWNERS ultimately decide what code can land in chromium.

I'm thinking I'll try to be more careful on I2P threads and, where it's not clear the sender represents relevant code OWNERS, just ask if there's been discussion with any of them yet. WDYT?

Asking that makes perfect sense, as it can help prevent folks spending time on work that may not eventually land.

Rick

Rick Byers

Nov 18, 2022, 9:06:14 AM11/18/22
to Yoav Weiss, blink-api-owners-discuss
On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 10:15 PM 'Yoav Weiss' via blink-api-owners-discuss <blink-api-ow...@chromium.org> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 9:12 PM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hey,
I've heard some people mention that sometimes API owner support on an I2P thread can put code OWNERS in an awkward position.

Personally, I think it can be healthy for Chromium project members to respectfully disagree in public. So I don't really see why API owners supporting something that the code owners don't would put the latter in an awkward position.

I wish your perspectives weren't so damn reasonable Yoav, then maybe I could have some excuse to disagree with you in public :-)