Re: [web-devrel-chrome-team] 🧟 Chrome Feature Deprectations 📓 DevRel Playbook for working with Engineering and Product Management

Thomas Steiner

Oct 14, 2022, 12:12:31 PM10/14/22
to Paul Kinlan, blink-api-owners-discuss, Thomas Steiner, Andre Bandarra, Kadir Topal, Carol Rivero, web-devrel-chrome-team, chrome-br...@google.com
Also adding @blink-api-owners-discuss explicitly.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 2:43 PM Thomas Steiner <to...@google.com> wrote:
Hey all,

I'm currently leading the Web SQL deprecation from the Chrome DevRel side and was an active observer of the alert() deprecation. On the Chrome team, we (maybe surprisingly) deprecate all the time; sometimes more, sometimes less visibly.

In order to make sure future (and of course "my" ongoing) deprecations go as smoothly as possible, I have digested and sifted through all the material I could find on Chrome deprecations and collected everything I have learned in a document with the title 🧟 Chrome Feature Deprectations 📓 DevRel Playbook for working with Engineering and Product Management to be found at go/chrome-feature-deprecations-devrel-playbook

I'd very much encourage feedback and comments from folks who've gone through deprecations in the past (eng, PM, DevRel) to make the playbook and the contained checklists as useful as possible, since Chrome DevRel is the responsible party for how deprecations land with the wider developer community.

Thanks all for your thoughts in advance!

Cheers,
Tom

Thomas Steiner

Oct 26, 2022, 12:53:38 PM10/26/22
to Carol Rivero, Mike West, Lukas Weichselbaum, Artur Janc, Kaustubha Govind, Eiji Kitamura, Paul Kinlan, Dharani Govindan, Thomas Steiner, Andre Bandarra, Kadir Topal, web-devrel-chrome-team, chrome-br...@google.com, Nathan Cliver, blink-api-owners-discuss
Adding in @Mike West@Lukas Weichselbaum@Artur Janc@Kaustubha Govind, and @Eiji Kitamura who may have feedback from the privacy/security corner of Chrome regarding deprecations.