Changing mail subject/stage from "Ready For Trial" to "Available For Trial"?

Daniel Bratell

Jun 17, 2021, 3:38:58 PM6/17/21
to 'Chris Wilson' via blink-api-owners-discuss, Jason Robbins
I've seen several people getting confused by the Ready For Trial mails
that are optionally posted when an origin trial becomes available to
use. I propose renaming the stage, or the mail subject, to "Available
For Trial" which I think will reduce confusion.

The name "Ready For Trial" implies to some that the code is ready and
that the team wants to start an origin trial. That is what we have the
Intent to Experiment mails/stage for but "Ready For Trial" is close
enough to cause some confusion. I'm not married to the alternative
string, but I think it would be a clear improvement.

Thoughts?

/Daniel

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Jun 18, 2021, 4:25:53 AM6/18/21
to Daniel Bratell, 'Chris Wilson' via blink-api-owners-discuss, Jason Robbins
Hi Daniel,
Indeed the term is confusing as IIUC it's not to announce that an origin
trial is ready, but it's early in the process:
https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features#TOC-Step-3:-Feature-Complete-behind-a-feature-flag:-iteration-on-design

According to the documentation, these "Ready for Trial" mails are to
announce that your prototype implementation is completed (behind a
runtime flag) and people can start to play for it.
They have nothing to do with Origin Trials if I'm not wrong.

I'm not sure if these kind of mails are really important or not, maybe
in some big features they're useful, but we should avoid "trial" word on
them to avoid this kind of misunderstanding.

Maybe something like "Ready for testing" (or "Ready for playing")
explain better the purpose.

Or maybe I'm the one that is totally confused, but in this case we have
to update the documentation in
https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features.

Cheers,
Rego

Daniel Bratell

Jun 18, 2021, 2:17:58 PM6/18/21
to Manuel Rego Casasnovas, 'Chris Wilson' via blink-api-owners-discuss, Jason Robbins
Oh, so even I misunderstood them. Make it a proof of point. :)

/Daniel