comments on feature process/docs

Fergal Daly

May 10, 2022, 9:24:55 PM5/10/22
to blink-api-ow...@chromium.org
Hi,

I'm working my way through https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features/ for the first time in a long time and there are a couple of issues

  • "If you'd like to provide feedback on this page or the process it describes, leave feedback on the Google Doc draft of this page." I don't have permission to comment on that doc (@google.com or @chromium.org), so I assume most others don't either.
  • Protoyping - "During this stage, you should expand on the explainer with a full design doc (this may also have implementation-specific details), and consider creating a specification (or writing up a pull request with changes to an existing spec)." but when I use chromestatus to generate the draft I2P email it tells me a spec link is a prerequisite https://screenshot.googleplex.com/6YAwtVvYnaQcTmw . The docs seem to contradict the tool, which is correct?

Mike Taylor

Jul 6, 2022, 1:14:44 PM7/6/22
to Fergal Daly, blink-api-owners-discuss

Hi Fergal,

Me neither. I think the prior sentence suggesting to email this list is sufficient, so I send in https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/website/+/3748414 to remove the link to the draft process doc (which is likely out of sync with what is published today anyways).

  • Protoyping - "During this stage, you should expand on the explainer with a full design doc (this may also have implementation-specific details), and consider creating a specification (or writing up a pull request with changes to an existing spec)." but when I use chromestatus to generate the draft I2P email it tells me a spec link is a prerequisite https://screenshot.googleplex.com/6YAwtVvYnaQcTmw . The docs seem to contradict the tool, which is correct?

I would say the docs are correct here - "consider creating a specification" would come after sending the I2P email, but before any later Intent stage. I filed https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/2000 based on your feedback.

thanks,
Mike