raising awareness of BFCache in the development process

Fergal Daly

Dec 10, 2020, 3:58:57 AM12/10/20
to blink-api-ow...@chromium.org, bfcache-dev
Hi Blink-API owners,

BFCache is launched and in use but is probably not in many people's minds when they are designing/developing features. We (bfcache-team) would like to ensure that teams consider how their feature interacts with BFCache early in the process.

It would be great to get the API owners raising this issue early on. I wonder are there any docs that are part of the I2{I,E,S} process that would be appropriate to mention BFCache? It seems out of place to mention one specific type of navigation in those docs but it's also not good to rely on somebody remembering to think about it.

We have this doc (quite new) on what feature teams should think about.

We  also want to update the standards docs and include BFCache in the launch process privacy review. If you have other ideas about how to make sure all future features are work nicely with BFCache, we'd love to hear them,

Mike West

Dec 14, 2020, 4:05:51 AM12/14/20
to Fergal Daly, Martin Šrámek, blink-api-owners-discuss, bfcache-dev
Hey Fergal,

We talked about this in our last meeting, and I appreciate the suggestion! There are lots of things that we want developers to be paying attention to when designing a feature, but it's not clear that the API owners are best-placed to guide folks down the right paths in each area of expertise. We do expect features to run through TAG review, and that seems like an appropriate point at which to raise architectural questions like this one.

In particular, I'd point you to the TAG's Web Platform Design Principles document, which contains a wealth of considerations we think folks ought to be paying attention to when shaping a feature. It might be reasonable to start a conversation with the TAG to determine whether that document, or something like the self-review security and privacy questionnaire would be a better fit.

It would probably also be reasonable to poke at Chrome's privacy team ( +Martin Šrámek ) to ensure that they're also aware of the feature's potential implications when they're reviewing features.

Thanks again!

-mike

Rakina Zata Amni

Apr 26, 2021, 7:29:54 AM4/26/21
to Mike West, Fergal Daly, Martin Šrámek, blink-api-owners-discuss, bfcache-dev, Chris Harrelson, Rick Byers
Thanks Mike for the suggestion! Bringing this to TAG makes sense, and the BFCache team recently made a draft proposal to add changes to TAG Design Principles and Security & Privacy Questionnaire docs to integrate BFCache considerations into TAG reviews, and also some open questions that we'd like TAG to give their opinions on.

We're thinking of sending this to TAG as a TAG review request at the end of this week. We're sending this to the API owners list first in case the group has opinions on what we're proposing :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bfcache-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/bfcache-dev/CAKXHy%3De8UJaDQzAvCCaJ-13AUG0vV3FVRnhBYWRYyY9bTn1A%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.