Re: Google Chrome Perf Lab owners

Annie Sullivan

Jan 4, 2019, 9:09:54 AM1/4/19
to Bruce Dawson, speed-me...@chromium.org, benchmar...@chromium.org, Todd Reifsteck, Mike Decker
+speed-metrics-dev, benchmarking-dev

The name for the benchmarking framework that uses wprgo is Telemetry. Sorry it's confusing with other things also called telemetry!

Can you list the names of some of the metrics you're seeing zeroed out?

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 6:35 PM Bruce Dawson <bruce...@google.com> wrote:
Annie, are you a good person to answer this question about the Web Page Replay tests?

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 3:26 PM Todd Reifsteck <todd...@microsoft.com> wrote:

By WPRGo tests, we mean various tests that depend on Web Page Replay.

https://github.com/catapult-project/catapult/tree/master/web_page_replay_go

One example are the Desktop-Load suite. They seem to emit empty CPU usage metrics when run on VMs.

Any idea why this might occur off the top of your head?

-Todd

Jan 4, 2019, 9:16:49 AM1/4/19
to Bruce Dawson, speed-me...@chromium.org, benchmar...@chromium.org, Todd Reifsteck, Mike Decker
Re-adding speed-metrics-dev after fixing posting permissions.

Todd Reifsteck

Jan 4, 2019, 6:17:59 PM1/4/19
to Annie Sullivan, Bruce Dawson, speed-me...@chromium.org, benchmar...@chromium.org, Todd Reifsteck, Mike Decker

We did a bit more digging. We believe this may be due to how Chromium’s time calculation code makes a decision whether to use Windows QPC or not.

We’ll share more after we experiment in a week or two.

-Todd

Bruce Dawson

Jan 4, 2019, 6:20:57 PM1/4/19
to Todd Reifsteck, Annie Sullivan, speed-me...@chromium.org, benchmar...@chromium.org, Mike Decker
That would make sense. If the times in question were very short (a few ms) then using the tick counter could easily lead to the benchmarks being reported as completely instantaneously.

Our method of deciding whether to use QPC is incorrect, I think, and maybe misguided, but we call QPC frequently enough that we don't want to pay the cost of an "expensive" version of it.
--
Bruce Dawson

Todd Reifsteck

Jan 29, 2019, 3:50:07 PM1/29/19
to Annie Sullivan, Bruce Dawson, speed-me...@chromium.org, benchmar...@chromium.org, Mike Decker, Rick James

Pardon the delay in communication! Will update this thread when we have results.

We are taking a look to see whether the mitigation from Rick James, https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/1413055, will enable this for us by allowing the tests to detect themselves as having sufficiently high precision when executed from VMs.

-Todd

Todd Reifsteck

Feb 8, 2019, 6:41:00 PM2/8/19
to Todd Reifsteck, Annie Sullivan, Bruce Dawson, benchmar...@chromium.org, Mike Decker, Rick James

We have confirmed that Rick’s fix improved the resolution of the metrics we were observing issues on when running certain tests.

One example is the speedometer benchmark where we previously saw all results rounded to the nearest millisecond and they are now showing resolution down to the microsecond.

-Todd