Re: run_benchmark: does it work with adb through network?

Ned

May 4, 2018, 3:46:12 PM5/4/18
to Adenilson Cavalcanti, benchmar...@chromium.org, jbud...@chromium.org, Ned Nguyen
+Chrome benchmarking
+John Budorick you have any opinion about making devil able to use abd through the network and not USB?

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 2:44 PM Adenilson Cavalcanti <caval...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi there, Ned

It was nice meeting with you on the last BlinkOn, I hope you are doing fine.

I'm writing to ask some advice concerning run_benchmark, more
specifically, how to make it work with an Android device connected to
adb through the network (not the USB)?

I got an ARM board that I can connect/login (e.g. adb connect
$IP:5555; adb shell) as also become root user just fine.

The issue is that whenever I try to run_benchmark on this board, it
seems that the script will drop the adb connection and next fail to
identify the device.

Is there an extra parameter that I could pass to it to explicitly
connect to a give device through the network?

Best regards

Adenilson Cavalcanti

caval...@chromium.org

May 11, 2018, 1:30:16 PM5/11/18
to Chrome benchmarking, caval...@chromium.org, jbud...@chromium.org, nedn...@chromium.org, nedn...@google.com
Friendly ping on the subject, since this is a blocker to investigate a possible regression on Android Webview.

caval...@chromium.org

May 14, 2018, 6:31:44 PM5/14/18
to Chrome benchmarking, caval...@chromium.org, jbud...@chromium.org, nedn...@chromium.org, nedn...@google.com
Some progress...

It seems that works to pre-connect the device using the adb shipped with catapult. As in:
$ /third_party/catapult/devil/bin/deps/linux2/x86_64/bin/adb connect $IP:5555
$ /third_party/catapult/devil/bin/deps/linux2/x86_64/bin/adb devices #should return the connected device

Then next run_benchmark seems able to identify the device connected through the network.

Now I'm trying to figure it out what may be missing in WebViewInstrumentation (https://gist.github.com/Adenilson/c8350d627eb9123efc4a50c84a6a9571).