Origin trial planned ramp-up to ~50% of Chrome Beta

Sam Dutton

Apr 28, 2022, 4:26:41 PM4/28/22
to Attribution Reporting API announcements (and developer questions)
The unified origin trial for the Privacy Sandbox relevance and measurement APIs (Topics, FLEDGE and Attribution Reporting) is available in Chrome Beta. We plan to ramp up to approximately 50% of the Chrome Beta population within the next two weeks.

We will continue to run the origin trial in Chrome Beta to evaluate the functionality of the APIs and the accompanying user controls. Technical testing is an important first step in the origin trial process; developers are encouraged to provide feedback on API functionality, documentation and ease of integration.

To get support, report issues, or provide feedback please see the resources for Topics, FLEDGE and Attribution Reporting.

We will provide updates soon on when we expect to advance the origin trial to Chrome Stable, with increased traffic volume to support additional testing.

Brian May

May 5, 2022, 1:10:15 PM5/5/22
to Attribution Reporting API announcements (and developer questions), dut...@chromium.org
Can you provide any information on the size of the Chrome Beta population?

Corey Edelman

May 19, 2022, 12:39:08 AM5/19/22
to Attribution Reporting API announcements (and developer questions), bm...@dstillery.com, dut...@chromium.org
Is this origin trial ramped to 50% population on Chrome Beta as of today?
Is there a plan to ramp past 50% population on Chrome Beta?
Can you share a rough timeline when the origin trial may graduate to Chrome Stable and what percentage of page loads or users will be included in the population?

Tobi Konitzer

May 19, 2022, 6:21:51 PM5/19/22
to Attribution Reporting API announcements (and developer questions), cede...@pinterest.com, bm...@dstillery.com, dut...@chromium.org
To add on: For how long will the origin trial be live?

Sam Dutton

May 26, 2022, 11:02:14 AM5/26/22
to Attribution Reporting API announcements (and developer questions), Tobi Konitzer, cede...@pinterest.com, bm...@dstillery.com, Sam Dutton
Apologies for the delay in responding.

 > Is this origin trial ramped to 50% population on Chrome Beta as of today?

Yes: the origin trial has now ramped up to 50%.

 > Is there a plan to ramp past 50% population on Chrome Beta?

 > Can you share a rough timeline when the origin trial may graduate to Chrome Stable and what percentage of page loads or users will be included in the population?

As described on blink-dev, we expect the origin trial to remain at 50% of Chrome Beta for at least a few more weeks to help us identify and address any additional issues. Once we’re confident we’ve fixed any major open issues, we will provide an update with a timeline for moving the origin trial to Chrome Stable for expanded testing with a larger volume of traffic.

 > For how long will the origin trial be live?

The origin trial for the relevance and measurement proposals is currently proposed to run from Chrome 101 through Chrome 104; roughly until the end of August when Chrome 105 begins rolling out. This duration is inline with the standard 16-week time frame for origin trials, but origin trials can be extended as needed to allow for sufficient testing.