Copycat extensions to defraud unsuspecting users

Aditya Bhaskar

Jan 2, 2020, 5:47:24 AM1/2/20
to apps-dev
I just discovered these copycat extensions that have copied the name and summary of my extension, and listed themselves as paid extensions. I am guessing the organisation behind them is trying to defraud unsuspecting users by getting them to purchase their version.

I haven't tested whether they just copied the extension listing, or if they have copied the code and functionality as well.

My extension is free-to-use with optional in-app supporter subscription, while all the fraudulent ones are purchase-to-use.

I have attached screenshots of the extensions in CWS.

Extension ID for the fraudulent extensions are:

onbkbhdiiliemmeaggbagoelfbnjfhhf
ppmfgcbapkaknhddjnlknglmjpnogedd
fjoojndgjjhidpoaakanfknepjjhcgmd
fjdhlkghifdnmacifbffabnhlfkkmokg
alfangoljialdmkfadkhjennloimnlfg
dmipcajlipgkgellillgpbkfiicpknjm
mjnjckcigclmeepiiialcadmljhjpdld

I would really appreciate if the extensions were removed, and probably, the developers banned from the store.

Cheers!

Adi
Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 10.20.48.png
Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 10.22.48.png

Mike Frysinger

Feb 5, 2020, 10:15:22 AM2/5/20
to Aditya Bhaskar, apps-dev
this group isn't for reporting problems in the CWS.  you probably want to use the "report abuse" on those pages instead.
-mike