Android 7.0 crash some time webview

deve...@fusionitechnologies.com

Mar 7, 2018, 7:47:48 AM3/7/18
to android-webview-dev
                                                                                                            java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occurred while executing doInBackground()
                                                                                                              at android.os.AsyncTask$3.done(AsyncTask.java:325)
                                                                                                              at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.finishCompletion(FutureTask.java:354)
                                                                                                              at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.setException(FutureTask.java:223)
                                                                                                              at android.os.AsyncTask$SerialExecutor$1.run(AsyncTask.java:243)
                                                                                                              at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1133)
                                                                                                              at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:607)
                                                                                                              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:762)
                                                                                                           Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: /data/user/0/com.xxx.xxx/cache/WebView is not a directory.
                                                                                                              at org.chromium.components.minidump_uploader.CrashFileManager.<init>(CrashFileManager.java:58)
                                                                                                              at org.chromium.android_webview.AwBrowserProcess$1.doInBackground(AwBrowserProcess.java:7)
                                                                                                              at android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:305)
                                                                                                              at android.os.AsyncTask$SerialExecutor$1.run(AsyncTask.java:243)
                                                                                                              at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1133)
                                                                                                              at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:607)
                                                                                                              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:762)

Bo Liu

Mar 7, 2018, 2:10:53 PM3/7/18
to deve...@fusionitechnologies.com, android-webview-dev
That looks like a real bug, and it would never show up in our crash reporting because that's crashing in crash handling code. File a bug pls: https://goo.gl/9qkbdn

Toby Sargeant

Mar 7, 2018, 2:19:56 PM3/7/18
to Bo Liu, deve...@fusionitechnologies.com, android-webview-dev
/data/user/0/com.xxx.xxx/cache/WebView not being a directory is not a normal condition, though. Is there any chance your app is creating a file of that name, or deleting the cache directory?

ah...@newswav.com

Mar 25, 2019, 12:39:45 AM3/25/19
to android-webview-dev, bo...@chromium.org, deve...@fusionitechnologies.com
in my case yes i'm deleting the application cache directory and with it the web-view directory ,
but i think this should not cause a bug on web-views  bc the user can simply open the app info and clear the
cache
any fixes in later apis ? or i can set a mode in web views to workaround this problem ?

Torne (Richard Coles)

Mar 25, 2019, 2:59:26 PM3/25/19
to ah...@newswav.com, android-webview-dev, bo...@chromium.org, deve...@fusionitechnologies.com
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 00:39, <ah...@newswav.com> wrote:
in my case yes i'm deleting the application cache directory and with it the web-view directory ,
but i think this should not cause a bug on web-views  bc the user can simply open the app info and clear the
cache

Yes ideally we would handle this gracefully because android can delete cache files at any time (though I'm not sure if it actually deletes subdirectories other than when the entire cache is cleared). Doing this consistently is kinda awkward though because there's many places where the cache might be used.

If you have a way to consistently reproduce it crashing, file a bug against webview with a test application that shows the problem and we can look into this particular case (and maybe others).

In general though if you want to avoid this you'll need to wait to initialise webview until after you have decided whether you are going to delete your cache dir. If you delete it first then webview will work fine.

any fixes in later apis ? or i can set a mode in web views to workaround this problem ?

We update WebView though the play store so if you report a bug with an example we can fix it for existing API levels too.

Poonam Patel

May 27, 2020, 4:00:50 PM5/27/20
to android-webview-dev
Any update on this?? Still facing same issue on android 10 and onloading webview it causes crash saying E/chromium: [ERROR:filesystem_posix.cc(62)] mkdir /data/user/0/package/cache/WebView/Crashpad: No such file or directory (2)

Podverse Admin

Aug 5, 2020, 3:54:44 AM8/5/20
to android-webview-dev, Poonam Patel
We just ran into this same error trying to build our app on BrowserStack with a Google Pixel 3 / Android 9.0 device.

Torne (Richard Coles)

Aug 5, 2020, 10:38:35 AM8/5/20
to Podverse Admin, android-webview-dev, Poonam Patel
You can ignore the error about the crashpad directory not existing - it's a bug on our side that we need to fix but it doesn't affect the operation of your app. If you're having a problem with WebView then that log message is not relevant and the issue is something else.

Podverse Admin

Aug 6, 2020, 2:55:27 AM8/6/20
to android-webview-dev, podve...@gmail.com, Poonam Patel
Sorry, my issue is probably unrelated to this thread. It turns out (I think) that I had introduced a breaking change into my React Native app by because I put a react-native-dialog component inside a render method, but nested inside a component that would not be rendered on initial page load. For some reason it gave me the same error message. The fix was for me to move the react-native-dialog component outside the nested component to make sure it is always rendered.

Thanks for trying to help!

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3:00:50 PM UTC-5, Poonam Patel wrote:
Any update on this?? Still facing same issue on android 10 and onloading webview it causes crash saying E/chromium: [ERROR:filesystem_posix.cc(62)] mkdir /data/user/0/package/cache/WebView/Crashpad: No such file or directory (2)

fawad ali

Apr 22, 2024, 11:58:22 AMApr 22
to android-webview-dev, Podverse Admin, Poonam Patel
Hi, I'm facing the same error with android 25 while loading some content into WebView I'm following the exact document from androidDev but still facing the error
/data/user/0/XX/cache/WebView/Crash Reports does not exist or is not a directory and then second time it get crashed