Request to Retain "addDocumentStartJavaScript" Method in androidx.webkit Library

Pawxy Inc.

Aug 6, 2023, 2:55:22 AM8/6/23
to android-webview-dev
Dear Android WebView Development Team,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Chandra Nakka, founder of the Pawxy browser, an Android-based mobile web browser designed to provide a lightweight, user-friendly, and secure web surfing experience. We have been successfully serving a large community of over 100,000 active users daily, thanks to your versatile and robust androidx.webkit library.

Our users appreciate Pawxy not only for its performance but also for its key feature: a built-in ad blocker that shields them from intrusive ads and potential trackers. This ad blocker utilizes the "WebViewCompat.addDocumentStartJavaScript" method in the androidx.webkit library, contributing significantly to the overall user experience and privacy protection.

However, we have recently learned from your deprecation notice that this method is planned to be removed from version 1.9.0 onwards. Understandably, this decision has likely been made after thorough consideration, yet we fear it may significantly affect our users' experience and their trust in our browser. Without the "addDocumentStartJavaScript" method, our ad blocker may not function as effectively, impairing the browsing experience we have worked so hard to optimize.

While we respect your decision and efforts to improve the androidx.webkit library, we humbly request you to reconsider the removal of the "addDocumentStartJavaScript" method. Alternatively, we would appreciate if you could suggest or provide a new method that serves a similar purpose in upcoming versions. Such a move would ensure that browsers like ours can continue providing uninterrupted service to users who depend on them for secure, ad-free browsing.

Our primary goal has always been to make the internet a safer, more accessible space for all. We believe your team shares this vision, as evidenced by your ongoing work on the android.webkit library. We're hopeful that you will consider our request in light of the impact it will have on our users, and many others who utilize similar functionalities.

We look forward to continued collaboration and learning from your esteemed team. Your guidance and assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Chandra Nakka
Founder, Pawxy Browser.

Thibault Malbranche

Aug 16, 2023, 7:20:45 AM8/16/23
to android-webview-dev, Pawxy Inc.
As the maintainer of react-native-webview, I'm also interested into this topic. Is there any alternative planned?

Peter Birk Pakkenberg

Aug 17, 2023, 10:36:34 AM8/17/23
to Thibault Malbranche, android-webview-dev, Pawxy Inc.

Hello Chandra,

The addDocumentStartJavascript API was added to the AndroidX library source code during development, but it has never been officially released as part of the library or officially supported.

We marked the method as deprecated to make this clear in preparation for cleaning up our code.

We are still deciding on the appropriate next steps for this API and appreciate your input.

Please keep an eye out for the next release of the AndroidX.WebKit library for more details.

In the future, I recommend only using APIs that have been officially released and not rely on in-development APIs.

This is a big risk to the stability of your app, as it may lead to your users experiencing crashes when WebView updates.

Sincerely,
Google Logo
Peter Birk Pakkenberg
Software Engineer
pb...@google.com

Pawxy Inc.

Nov 29, 2023, 3:17:20 PM11/29/23
to android-webview-dev, pb...@google.com, android-webview-dev, Pawxy Inc., Thibault Malbranche
Dear Android WebView Development Team,

I am writing to express my heartfelt gratitude for your recent decision to retain the "WebViewCompat.addDocumentStartJavaScript" method in the androidx.webkit library. Your responsiveness to the needs of developers and users alike exemplifies your commitment to the community and the advancement of the Android platform.

Your decision to preserve this feature is of immense value to us at Pawxy Browser. It ensures that we can continue to deliver the high-quality, ad-free browsing experience that our users have come to expect and rely on. Your support enables us to maintain the integrity of our service and the trust of our over 100,000 daily active users.

I would like to extend my personal thanks and that of the entire Pawxy team for your willingness to listen, engage, and act on the feedback from your developer community. This collaboration is a testament to the positive impact that can be achieved when developers and platform creators work together towards a common goal.

We are excited to continue our work using the androidx.webkit library and look forward to future innovations and enhancements from your team. Thank you once again for your understanding and support.

With warm regards,

Chandra Nakka
Founder, Pawxy Browser