Android 7.1.2 building with new webkit

fred r

Apr 4, 2018, 1:31:52 AM4/4/18
to android-webview-dev
We currently have android 7.1.2 with webkit  52.0.2743.100 is it possible to use the latest webkit such as 61.0.3163.98? Are the new webkits tested with older OS versions?

Nate Fischer

Apr 4, 2018, 8:45:53 PM4/4/18
to fred r, android-webview-dev
Are you a regular Android user, or are you trying to ship your own version of Android based on AOSP?

We always support new releases of WebView on all Android versions L and above (so yes, they're tested on older OS versions).

If you're a regular user, you should update WebView through the play store. Since you're on 7.1.2, your WebView implementation is likely provided by Google Chrome (so update that app).

Nate Fischer | Software Engineer | ntf...@google.com

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:31 PM, fred r <eeph...@gmail.com> wrote:
We currently have android 7.1.2 with webkit  52.0.2743.100 is it possible to use the latest webkit such as 61.0.3163.98? Are the new webkits tested with older OS versions?

fred r

Apr 4, 2018, 9:54:22 PM4/4/18
to android-webview-dev, eeph...@gmail.com, ntf...@google.com
Nate,
Yes we are wanting to ship our own device with Android based on AOSP. Ok that's good to know we can use newer versions of webview with older versions of OS.

How would we verify that the integration was done properly, can we run a cts like tool to verify our integration will support all API and features?

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 5:45:53 PM UTC-7, Nate Fischer wrote:
Are you a regular Android user, or are you trying to ship your own version of Android based on AOSP?

We always support new releases of WebView on all Android versions L and above (so yes, they're tested on older OS versions).

If you're a regular user, you should update WebView through the play store. Since you're on 7.1.2, your WebView implementation is likely provided by Google Chrome (so update that app).

Nate Fischer | Software Engineer | ntf...@google.com

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:31 PM, fred r <eeph...@gmail.com> wrote:
We currently have android 7.1.2 with webkit  52.0.2743.100 is it possible to use the latest webkit such as 61.0.3163.98? Are the new webkits tested with older OS versions?

Nate Fischer

Apr 5, 2018, 1:14:09 AM4/5/18
to fred r, android-webview-dev
We strongly recommend staying up to date with the latest stable WebView release, as each major release contains critical security fixes.

Yes, you can run CTS tests. Please make sure to run the latest CTS release for the API level you're trying to ship, as we occasionally cherry pick back fixes for broken CTS tests. If you find that a CTS test is broken on an unmodified build of WebView, please file a crbug, include the full output of the CTS failure, CTS version, and WebView version.

You can find instructions for building the actual APK (com.android.webview) here. We do not support installing the WebView APK from the play store on an AOSP-based device--you must build your own.

If you intend to ship chromium on your device, you could optionally compile monochrome_public_apk instead (I know CopperheadOS and others do this). If you want to do this, you'll also need to edit "frameworks/base/core/res/res/xml/config_webview_packages.xml" to include "org.chromium.chrome". We can advise further if this is interests you.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 6:54 PM, fred r <eeph...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Rajeev Reddy

Jul 5, 2022, 2:14:24 AM7/5/22
to android-webview-dev, Nate Fischer, android-webview-dev, eeph...@gmail.com