Could Android webview be changed to 64-bit prefer?

Jinpeng Zhu

May 13, 2022, 3:11:51 AM5/13/22
to android-webview-dev
If we switch it to 64-bit, does it have any issues?

Torne (Richard Coles)

May 16, 2022, 9:52:04 AM5/16/22
to Jinpeng Zhu, android-webview-dev
On Fri, 13 May 2022 at 03:11, Jinpeng Zhu <dpint...@gmail.com> wrote:
If we switch it to 64-bit, does it have any issues?

Memory usage is increased when running in 64-bit mode. We currently distribute the 64-bit-preferred version to devices with larger amounts of RAM where the impact of this is small (to get the security and performance benefits of 64-bit), but continue to distribute the 32-bit-preferred version to devices with less RAM where the increased rate of OOM kills may be disruptive to the user.

Jinpeng Zhu

May 16, 2022, 11:25:52 PM5/16/22
to android-webview-dev, to...@chromium.org, android-webview-dev, Jinpeng Zhu
How large at least should the RAM be if we want to use 64-bit mode?

Torne (Richard Coles)

May 17, 2022, 11:07:04 AM5/17/22
to Jinpeng Zhu, android-webview-dev
We currently ship the 64-bit-preferred version of Chrome/WebView to devices with at least 6.5GB of RAM available to the kernel. This effectively means devices that are marketed as having 8GB RAM (the actual amount available to the kernel is typically quite a bit lower than the physical amount of RAM on the board due to carveouts for GPU/modem/etc). The impact of the additional memory usage on these devices was minimal in our experiments.

This doesn't mean it won't work on devices with less RAM, but the increased systemwide memory pressure will mean that background apps get OOM killed more frequently, and are more likely to have to cold start if users switch back to them.