Intent to Prototype: ExportID for cross ShadowRoot ARIA

Ben Howell

Sep 22, 2023, 7:35:09 PM9/22/23
to blin...@chromium.org, Alex Russell

Contact emails

sligh...@chromium.orgalexr...@microsoft.combeho...@microsoft.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/aom/blob/gh-pages/exportid-explainer.md

Specification

None

Summary

Exported IDs are a way to refer to elements inside a shadow tree from an ID reference attribute like `aria-labelledby` or `for`, while preserving shadow DOM encapsulation. There is a new attribute `exportid` to mark an element as having its ID exported from the shadow root, and a new syntax to refer to the element from outside the shadow root: `for="host::id(child)"`. There is also a new attribute `useids` to allow referring to elements outside of the shadow tree. More details are in the explainer. Together these features allow creating ARIA relationships across the shadow tree boundary.

Blink component

Blink>DOM>ShadowDOM

Motivation

The Shadow DOM presents a problem for accessibility: there is not a way to establish semantic relationships between elements on in different shadow trees (such as aria-labelledby). This limits the ability to design web components in a way that works with accessibility tools such as screen readers. Exported IDs solve this problem by giving a way to create semantic relationships between elements in a way that respects shadow DOM encapsulation. The specifics of the proposal are detailed in the linked explainer.

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/WICG/aom/pull/204

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

None

No

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5188237101891584

Aaron Leventhal

Feb 15, 2024, 6:05:50 PMFeb 15
to blink-dev, Ben Howell, Alex Russell, Alice Boxhall, Benjamin Beaudry, Chris Harrelson, David Bolter, Mason Freed
Also wondering about ARIA element reflection (ariaDescribedByElements, ariaOwnsElements, etc.) ?

We already have an implementation of ARIA element reflection in Blink, but it isn't shipping yet, and has likely fallen into disrepair (for more info about that, I just added comment 25 in the original feature bug).

I feel like in order to ship the new exciting technique, we should also ship the original technique.
Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Leventhal

Feb 15, 2024, 6:12:32 PMFeb 15
to blink-dev, Ben Howell, Alex Russell, Benjamin Beaudry, Chris Harrelson, David Bolter, Mason Freed, abox...@igalia.com

Ben Howell

Feb 15, 2024, 8:08:35 PMFeb 15
to Aaron Leventhal, blink-dev, Alex Russell, Benjamin Beaudry, chrishtr, David Bolter, Mason Freed, abox...@igalia.com

Hi Aaron,

The plan has changed a bit since the original I2P. I got some feedback that the Export ID proposal was overly complicated for end users, and there should be a simpler feature that works towards enabling web components to be drop-in replacements for builtins. The new plan is to implement Reference Target (https://github.com/WICG/aom/pull/207), which is simpler and more scoped to solving cross-root ARIA.

I’ve updated the chromestatus feature to refer to Reference Target instead: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5188237101891584. I’m going to update the Export ID explainer in the AOM repo once the new one is merged.

That said, Reference Target relies on element reflection from the ARIAMixin in order to make a complete solution for cross-root ARIA, so it’s concerning that it has fallen into disrepair... Your link to your comment 25 is broken – could you send the link again and/or a link to the feature bug you’re referring to?

Thanks,

Ben