Intent to remove XMLHttpRequestException

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
Intent to remove XMLHttpRequestException Erik Arvidsson 5/3/13 9:40 AM

(It isn't clear that this needs an "intent" email but better to err on side of being too clear.)

Primary eng

a...@google.com

Spec

http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/

Summary

The old spec only had XMLHttpRequestException for about a year (during 2007) and WebKit is the only browser to implement this interface. The XHR spec says to throw DOMExceptions objects instead and that is what other browsers do.

Motivation

Clean up our surface area as well as increase compatibility.

Compatibility Risk

Very low. Due to differences in the interface code on the open we do not check what kind of errors are thrown from an XHR, instead they rely on the status and the statusText of the XHR object.

Apple was opposed to this change inside WebKit because of backwards compatibility with their ObjectiveC bindings. They also saw no value in removing unused interfaces.

Bug

Patch

https://codereview.chromium.org/14200030

Row on feature dashboard?

No. Minor change

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes.

--
erik

Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove XMLHttpRequestException Ojan Vafai 5/3/13 10:43 AM
LGTM
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove XMLHttpRequestException Mike 5/3/13 10:45 AM

This seems pretty reasonable; anything that cleans up our exception code is welcome. :)

Would you mind linking to the WebKit discussion for completeness?

-mike

Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove XMLHttpRequestException Erik Arvidsson 5/3/13 10:53 AM
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Mike West <mk...@chromium.org> wrote:

Would you mind linking to the WebKit discussion for completeness?

--
erik

Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove XMLHttpRequestException Adam Barth 5/5/13 8:35 PM
LGTM2
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove XMLHttpRequestException Dimitri 5/7/13 12:34 PM
LGTM3.