Google Groups

Re: [cros-discuss] chrome os memory useage

Sonny Rao Jan 18, 2013 5:01 PM
Posted in group: Chromium OS discuss
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Trever <> wrote:
> Quick sanity check- do these generalizations seem plausible/correct to
> people?
> 1.  Jim dying- not indicative of low memory

You mean the "He's Dead Jim" Screen?  That is usually indicative of
the kernel OOM killer killing a renderer process.
In general if you're using our kernel, we hope to avoid this by using
the low memory notifier device that we've added to the kernel.

> 2.  Windows refreshing on focus change and general slowness- indicative of
> low memory
This is an indication of the low-memory notifier telling chrome to discard a tab

You can see if chrome has been seeing these notifications by looking
at about:discards

> The generalizations are what I've arrived by correlating the behaviors with
> system memory use tools.

You can try enabling swap to zram also to help with these low-memory
issues.  In crosh (ctrl-alt-t) run "swap enable" and reboot