Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Punyabrata 8/19/13 8:56 AM

Primary eng (and PM) emails

qin...@chromium.org, acol...@chromium.org, wole...@chromium.org, jlu...@chromium.org, punya...@chromium.org

Spec

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/media-source/media-source.html

Summary

The Media Source Extension (MSE) specification "extends HTMLMediaElement to allow JavaScript to generate media streams for playback. Allowing JavaScript to generate streams facilitates a variety of use cases like adaptive streaming and time shifting live streams."

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

Not one specific to the Chrome on Android but here is a general discussion around the MSE API: http://goo.gl/Z9zo7V

Is this feature supported on all five Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS and Android)?

Yes.

OWP launch tracking bug?

crbug.com/275691

Row on feature dashboard?

Yes. (There isn't one specific to Chrome on Android but a general feature does exist for the MSE API.)

Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android John Mellor 8/19/13 9:07 AM
Shipping a way to do adaptive streaming on mobile is great news for responsive web design!

Is this intent to ship refering to the prefixed API that existed before goo.gl/Z9zo7V, or for the unprefixed API that started being implemented following that email? How will it compare to what we expose on desktop?
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Darin Fisher 8/19/13 9:26 AM
What is support like from other browser vendors?  I see that the spec was co-edited by Adrian Bateman of MS, which is a good sign.

Thanks,
-Darin
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Darin Fisher 8/19/13 9:27 AM
Nevermind, I see the answer in the bug.  I take it we are already shipping this on Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome OS, and that this Intent to Ship is just about Chrome on Android having parity with Chrome on those other platforms?

-Darin
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Punyabrata 8/19/13 9:33 AM

On Monday, August 19, 2013 9:07:50 AM UTC-7, John Mellor wrote:
Shipping a way to do adaptive streaming on mobile is great news for responsive web design!

Is this intent to ship refering to the prefixed API that existed before goo.gl/Z9zo7V, or for the unprefixed API that started being implemented following that email?
This refers to the prefixed API. Once the un-prefixed API is completed for desktop, it should in theory (seamlessly :) ) carry over to Chrome on Android.

How will it compare to what we expose on desktop?
We are shooting for feature parity but there are some Android specific issues that the team is working through.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM, <punya...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Punyabrata 8/19/13 9:49 AM
Correct.
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Adam Barth 8/19/13 4:20 PM
It seems we need to choose between two less-than-ideal situations:

1) Supporting different feature sets on Mobile and Desktop.
2) Exposing a vendor-prefixed API more widely.

The best outcome would be to complete the non-vendor-prefixed implementation and expose that consistently across Mobile and Desktop.  However, until that happens, I think (2) is the better of the two options, so LGTM.

Adam

Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Dimitri 8/19/13 4:36 PM
LGTM2.
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android Darin Fisher 8/19/13 4:38 PM
LGTM3
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Media Source Extension (MSE) API on Chrome for Android PhistucK 8/20/13 10:14 AM
I think that actually depends on the time frame for the non vendor prefixed implementation. I understand it is already being implemented (hence the implementation intent announcement). Are we talking about a long wait? more than two or three releases (12 - 18 weeks)? if not, perhaps we should wait and not release yet another prefixed API on a mobile browser.

PhistucK