Intent to remove <style scoped>

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
Intent to remove <style scoped> Elliott Sprehn 3/19/14 3:34 PM
Primary eng (and PM) emailsesp...@chromium.org

SummaryRemove <style scoped>
MotivationThis feature is not maintained, not shipping and no progress has been made in 5 months. It also adds a lot of complexity to how the scoped style system works for Shadow DOM.
Previous discussion and support for removal is here:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/blink-dev/JB8nFQXhAuQ/discussion
Compatibility RiskNone
Row on feature dashboard?http://www.chromestatus.com/features/5374137958662144
Requesting approval to remove too?Yes

Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove <style scoped> Tab Atkins Jr. 3/19/14 7:13 PM
LGTM

I'm not 100% sure whether we actually want to pursue this feature or
not in the future, but regardless, we can take up that question later.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esp...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Primary eng (and PM) emails...@chromium.org
> email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org.
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove <style scoped> Hayato Ito 3/19/14 9:49 PM
LGTM.

I've felt several times that <style scoped> is the cause of code complexity when I work on Shadow DOM styling.

I'm not saying that blink shouldn't support <style scoped>.
I am saying that we can get benefits from the view of hack-ability of style system if we can forget <style scoped>.
We can reimplement <style scoped> later once we feel it's needed.

--
Hayato
Re: [blink-dev] Intent to remove <style scoped> Adam Barth 3/24/14 10:56 AM

--
TAMURA, Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Re: Intent to remove <style scoped> ethan...@gmx.net 4/1/14 1:16 AM
hi, without scoped css web components make no sense.
[blink-dev] Re: Intent to remove <style scoped> Adam Barth 4/1/14 8:49 AM
Style are still scoped to ShadowRoots, which means they still work properly for web components.  This mechanism was duplicate functionality that let you scope styles at arbitrary points in the DOM.

Adam
Re: [blink-dev] Re: Intent to remove <style scoped> Tab Atkins Jr. 4/3/14 12:14 PM
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:16 AM,  <ethan...@gmx.net> wrote:
> hi, without scoped css web components make no sense.

The CSS-related behaviors of Web Components are completely unrelated
to scoped styles.  Shadow DOM does not use scoped styles in any
meaningful sense.

~TJ
Re: Intent to remove <style scoped> danny...@gmail.com 2/19/15 10:42 PM
Very sad to see this one go. This feature was convenient for testing purposes and also served as a hacky workaround for cached and merged css/js files being served by CDN :((
Re: [blink-dev] Re: Intent to remove <style scoped> PhistucK 2/20/15 4:41 AM
It is probably very easy to emulate using an extension or a bookmarklet (looks for <style scoped>, adds #some-generated-unique-id to all of the non at-rules and adds an id="some-generated-unique-id" to the containing element, or uses the existing ID), if you are only talking about testing purposes.

PhistucK