Google Groups

Intent to Deprecate: MediaError.MEDIA_ERR_ENCRYPTED

Philip Jägenstedt Jan 28, 2014 10:22 PM
Posted in group: blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

Deprecate the "const unsigned short MEDIA_ERR_ENCRYPTED" member of the MediaError interface.

It has been removed from the Encrypted Media Extensions spec:

I sent a review for a plain (MeasureAs) UseCounter:

David Dorwin commented:
"DeprecateAs? This has no purpose anymore, and I don't think it's being used, so I think it's fine to display a warning. This should only be tracked if this constant name is used in JS anyway (and not a comparison to '5')."

I checked and David is correct. It is never actually used in Blink, the constant on the interface is the only Web-facing part there is.

Usage information from UseCounter

As per above, no UseCounter yet, I mean to add it as a deprecated feature directly.

Compatibility Risk

None for deprecation. For removal, any page that checks for an EME error using code like "video.error.code == MediaError.MEDIA_ERR_ENCRYPTED" will act as if there was no error, and probably misbehave.

Row on feature dashboard?

Requesting approval to remove too?