Tracking V8's compiled code size

Andrew Grieve

Jan 3, 2017, 2:11:45 PM1/3/17
to v8-...@googlegroups.com, tele...@chromium.org
I've been looking at Chrome.apk size jumps via chromeperf (example), but often the commit that causes a non-trivial jump is a v8 roll.

Is anyone aware of a bot that tracks v8's size (maybe via d8) on a per-commit basis? Or if telemetry can be made to fill in the data for sub-roll commits?

Ned

Jan 3, 2017, 2:12:34 PM1/3/17
to Andrew Grieve, v8-...@googlegroups.com, tele...@chromium.org, simon...@chromium.org

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 2:11 PM Andrew Grieve <agr...@chromium.org> wrote:
I've been looking at Chrome.apk size jumps via chromeperf (example), but often the commit that causes a non-trivial jump is a v8 roll.

Is anyone aware of a bot that tracks v8's size (maybe via d8) on a per-commit basis? Or if telemetry can be made to fill in the data for sub-roll commits?

Simon Hatch

Jan 3, 2017, 2:17:42 PM1/3/17
to Ned, Andrew Grieve, v8-...@googlegroups.com, tele...@chromium.org, simon...@chromium.org
Not aware of anything that tracks Chrome.apk on a per-commit basis for stuff like v8. The perf bots build on demand when bisecting into those, so you may be able to bisect a sudden size jump (I haven't tried it so I'm not sure if bisect will work out of the box here, don't see any reason it wouldn't though).

Andrew Grieve

Jan 4, 2017, 2:43:40 PM1/4/17
to Simon Hatch, Ned, Andrew Grieve, v8-...@googlegroups.com, tele...@chromium.org, simon...@chromium.org
The bisects seem to always fail. E.g.:

That said, if they worked, that would probably be good enough. Certainly willing to file a bug for this if you know the components / owners?

Simon Hatch

Jan 4, 2017, 2:45:38 PM1/4/17
to Andrew Grieve, Ned, v8-...@googlegroups.com, tele...@chromium.org, simon...@chromium.org
Tests>AutoBisect