capturing logging output with run_benchmark

Steve Kobes

Apr 10, 2017, 8:13:33 PM4/10/17
to tele...@chromium.org
How can I see logging output from the renderer process with run_benchmark on Android?

Typically I would use __android_log_print but it seems like adb logcat disconnects when the benchmark starts.

I tried passing --browser-logging-verbosity=verbose but I'm not sure where the log file is.  The documentation says "The log file is saved in temp directory" which is rather vague, and "ls -alt /tmp" doesn't show anything promising.

I also tried --show-stdout with both printf and LOG(INFO) but that didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks,
Steve

Kenichi Ishibashi

Apr 10, 2017, 9:02:00 PM4/10/17
to Steve Kobes, telemetry
On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Steve Kobes <sko...@chromium.org> wrote:
How can I see logging output from the renderer process with run_benchmark on Android?

Typically I would use __android_log_print but it seems like adb logcat disconnects when the benchmark starts.
If adb logcat disconnects you are probably using different version of adb. IIUC telemetry uses src/third_party/android_tools/sdk/platform-tools/adb by default.

Steve Kobes

Apr 10, 2017, 9:20:11 PM4/10/17
to Kenichi Ishibashi, telemetry
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Kenichi Ishibashi <ba...@chromium.org> wrote:
If adb logcat disconnects you are probably using different version of adb.

Thanks!  This was indeed the case.

IIUC telemetry uses src/third_party/android_tools/sdk/platform-tools/adb by default.

Actually that's the one I was using (build/android/envsetup.sh puts it in your path), but telemetry was using
third_party/catapult/devil/bin/deps/linux2/x86_64/bin/adb.

If I invoke the latter explicitly, it seems to work.