Running telemetry on ChromeOS

Achuith Bhandarkar

Jun 13, 2017, 7:00:26 PM6/13/17
to telemetry
TL;DR: Check out go/cros-vm for instructions to run telemetry on a ChromeOS VM.

In the past, running telemetry on ChromeOS meant you had to pick up a device from Chromestop, configure it with a ChromeOS test image using a USB key, and connect it to a special test network.

We now have a downloadable VM that's available for use on your development workstation.

Instructions on launching the VM and running telemetry unit tests are here: go/cros-vm.

Obviously performance data is meaningless in the VM, but you ought to be able to test your CLs against the VM to ensure you haven't broken ChromeOS[1]. Hopefully this is something people will do for larger refactoring CLs.

Please try it out and let me know if you run into any issues.

Achuith.

[1] The cycle time for unit tests on ChromeOS is still too long for a default trybot, and we don't have KVM support in GCE, so it's unlikely that this will be available as a tryserver anytime soon.

Dirk Pranke

Jun 13, 2017, 7:06:08 PM6/13/17
to Achuith Bhandarkar, telemetry
Nice! Thanks, Achuith :).