Chrome OWP Storage Team Weekly

Joshua Bell

Mar 13, 2018, 3:31:38 PM3/13/18
to stora...@chromium.org
Storage team (SFO/MTV) weekly updates. The Storage team works on APIs like Indexed DB, Cache API, DOM Storage as well as the underpinnings like leveldb, sqlite, blobs, quota, and related components like FileAPI and DataTransfer.

It's quieter than normal this week, since at Google we're in the middle of a regularly scheduled performance review cycle. I also blame Daylight Savings Time and rainy weather in the Bay Area.

Triage
  • pwnall keeps baton

Discussion
  • Ongoing IDB OOM discussion
    • Brainstorming set of changes we'd need to push into leveldb and/or radically rework our layers on top of it, vs. migration to alternative backing store options
    • Concerns about memory requirements of schema changes on large data sets (deletion, index creation/population)
  • Should we keep using index entry tombstones in the IndexedDB implementation?

Async Cookies
  • Nothing this week, since everyone got busy with other stuff. Just calling it out.

Indexed DB
  • Ongoing OOM investigation - dmurph@, with help from bsittler@, pwnall@, mek@
  • Attempted to implement workaround for large database deletion; too slow to be practical - bsittler@, pwnall@
  • Made iteration for database deletion not fill the leveldb block cache (less memory churn) - dmurph@
LevelDB

  • maintenance (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and repo sync in anticipation of adding range deletion - pwnall@

Session Storage
Blobs

  • perf suite configs finished - dmurph@
  • blob URL navigation work stalled - everyone's busy with perf - mek@
  • download_to_file retirement work - DCHECKs, prototypes, weaning XHR off (1, 2, 3) - mek@
  • FileReaderLoader cleanup (123) - mek@
  • Fix loading data URLs as blobs - mek@
  • Fix SerializedBlobStructTraits - missing/infeasible to check at compile-time? - mek@

Miscellaneous
  • Reviewed jochen@'s design doc for an in-memory file system implementation, initial CL - jsbell@
  • gtest roll  - pwnall@
  • snappy sync - pwnall@

Joshua Bell

Mar 20, 2018, 4:15:15 PM3/20/18
to stora...@chromium.org
Storage team (SFO/MTV) weekly updates. The Storage team works on APIs like Indexed DB, Cache API, DOM Storage as well as the underpinnings like leveldb, sqlite, blobs, quota, and related components like FileAPI and DataTransfer.

Triage
  • pwnall keeps baton

Async Cookies
  • Document events landed; up next is events and waking SWs - pwnall@

Indexed DB
  • Discussion on scaling leveldb backing store to large databases - everyone

Session Storage - dmurph@
Blobs - mek@
  • still waiting on reviews for Blob URL navigation
  • ongoing: replace XHR's download_to_file with download_to_blob (1, 2)
  • blob uploads vs. network service, and general improvements (lots of CLs linked off of bug)
  • miscellaneous blob work (1, 2, 3)
  • looking into simplifying "snapshots"
LevelDB - pwnall@

  • Investigate up feasibility of DeleteRange
  • Write up on scalability of leveldb
  • Write up on tombstone issues in IndexedDB impl
  • Draining backlog of bugs/todos with CLs (1234, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11), PR
  • PR for crc32c CI config

Cache Storage - bsittler@
  • Explored a couple dead-ends on deletion clearing fix; back to cleaning up a working version
Miscellaneous

Joshua Bell

Mar 27, 2018, 3:13:34 PM3/27/18
to stora...@chromium.org
Storage team (SFO/MTV) weekly updates. The Storage team works on APIs like Indexed DB, Cache API, DOM Storage as well as the underpinnings like leveldb, sqlite, blobs, quota, and related components like FileAPI and DataTransfer.

Triage
  • pwnall@ keeps baton, but let's all help out.
Session Storage - dmurph@
Async Cookies
  • Service Worker hookup - early CL in progress - costan@
  • This week: explainer edits - bsittler@
Blobs and Friends - mek@
  • Blob URL navigation: meetings and CLs  (1, 2) and design doc ; introduce BlobURLToken
  • DownloadToFile - use counter, other work deferred
  • Blob code health (CL, CL, CL)
LevelDB - pwnall@
  • Sync and roll (CLCL), project updates (CL)
  • Thread safety annotations (CL)

Joshua Bell

Apr 3, 2018, 3:00:53 PM4/3/18
to stora...@chromium.org
Storage team (SFO/MTV) weekly updates. The Storage team works on APIs like Indexed DB, Cache API, DOM Storage as well as the underpinnings like leveldb, sqlite, blobs, quota, and related components like FileAPI and DataTransfer.

Indexed DB
  • Kick off broader (internal) discussion around leveldb scaling - pwnall@, dmurph@, et. al.
  • Auto-blobbing failure investigation - dmurph@, mek@
  • Investigating internals "download zip file" failure - only works on Linux (?!?) - dmurph@
  • Reviewing "internals" fixes by Samsung contributor - pwnall@
  • Introduced MemorySpan to v8 API in anticipation of WASM/IDB integration work - pwnall@
Session Storage S13n - dmurph@

Blobs and Friends -
mek@

Async Cookies

Joshua Bell

Apr 12, 2018, 5:14:17 PM4/12/18
to stora...@chromium.org
Storage team (SFO/MTV) weekly updates. The Storage team works on APIs like Indexed DB, Cache API, DOM Storage as well as the underpinnings like leveldb, sqlite, blobs, quota, and related components like FileAPI and DataTransfer.

Indexed DB
  • Identified issue w/ v2→v3 schema upgrades and blobs, have fixes, gathering metrics on impact. - dmurph@
  • Discussions about page lifecycle work vs. Indexed DB connections, persisting state - dmurph@, jsbell@
  • Re-proposed "write only transactions" - jsbell@
Async Cookies
  • Working changes into the WICG explainer - bsittler@
  • Draft spec placeholder up - c/o rtoy@
  • Tests: reworked (1, 2), deflaked - jsbell@
  • Disallow `=` in no-name cookie values (impl/test) - jsbell@
  • WIP patch to route document.cookie through RestrictedCookieManager - jsbell@
Web Locks API - jsbell@
  • W3C TAG feedback - they came around to the API shape
  • Abort timing bug reported by ralphch - fix in the CQ
Blobs & Friends -

Miscellaneous
  • leveldb - cmake fixups (CLCLCL) - pwnall@
  • GTest rolls, bumps (CLCLCLCLPR) - pwnall@