Chrome OWP Storage Team Weekly (2018-02-06)

Joshua Bell

Feb 6, 2018, 6:43:39 PM2/6/18
to stora...@chromium.org
Storage team (SFO/MTV) weekly updates. The Storage team works on APIs like Indexed DB, Cache API, DOM Storage as well as the underpinnings like leveldb, sqlite, blobs, quota, and related components like FileAPI and DataTransfer.

(notes are now cribbed from team members' weekly "snippets" as well as sync meeting discussion)

Triage
  • jsbell kept baton since dmurph was OOO; handing off to dmurph now
  • appcache crashes c/o mojo refactor?
  • webkitRequestFileSystem errors spike on Windows?
Cache Storage
  • working on fix for cachestorage not being deleted right away when handles are still open (e.g. by SW scripts); workaround empties the caches too - bsittler@
Async Cookies
  • verified surprising-to-me results from cookie ordering+shadowing interop (my previous tests were flawed; Edge is more different than I knew); working on rewritten ordering+shadowing tests - bsittler@
  • network service: Move class used in unit tests to anonymous namespace - pwnall@
  • (in progress) Async Cookies API: Change events for documents - pwnall@
Blob Servicification - mek@
  • Resolved blob perf regression/test flakiness
  • Downloading of blob URLs no longer working (bug) - test had been deleted during refactor that broke it (!). Added work-around.
  • Investigated clipboard/blob system crashes
  • Intent to Implement and Ship for making blob errors network errors not 404s
  • Iterating on subresource loading
  • More blob URL WPTs
SQLite - pwnall@
  • Build changes to remove unused features
  • Uncovered flakiness in initialization on Linux; fix involves prefixing SQLite APIs and not using system libs
Web Locks API - jsbell@
  • Iterate on 'steal' option implementation (in review)
  • Reviewed ricea@'s AbortSignal/AbortController implementation
  • Implement 'signal' option
  • Reviewed W3C TAG feedback, discussed (a bit) with others. Need to figure out a path forward now.
  • Landed of bug fixes and other test cases
Indexed DB - dmurph@
  • Starting to get stats from Canary about "tombstones" (index entries for deleted records, left behind when there is not read/write iteration across indexes); biased sample, but: most users don't have much space wasted by tombstones, but a small number of users have a ton of space consumed by tombstones (likely dev machines, given canary userbase).
Miscellaneous
  • FileAPI-related spec work - mek@
    • Remove FileReaderSync's readyState
    • PR for URL spec for integration with FileAPI
    • Bug against Fetch for aligning spec with implentations for blob URL loading
  • Lock annotations (c/o Abseil) headers landed - pwnall@
  • Google Test upgrade - pwnall@
  • Indexed DB 2.0 hit W3C "rec" status - jsbell@