Re: Sandboxing (was -- Re: [Officesecurity] A couple of crashers for lowriter)

Michael Meeks

Sep 28, 2015, 8:13:29 AM9/28/15
to Alexander Cherepanov, securi...@chromium.org, lsecurity, Fridrich Strba
Hi Justin & Alex,

On Sun, 2015-09-27 at 00:05 +0300, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> On 2014-11-26 21:07, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >> At upstream level many things could also be done. From showing warning
> >> before importing exotic formats to sandboxing importers.
> >
> > If you have a creative approach to sandboxing importers, I'm interested
> > - would be a bit of development work; but of course possible - we could
> > spawn external processes [ and how to sandbox those ? ] - but basically
> > anything is possible for someone wanting to contribute.

Right =)

> This question came up on Twitter and it seems that Justin Schuh (Chrome
> browser security tech lead, at least a couple of years ago) is ready to
> assist LibreOffice with sandboxing. In case you missed it, the thread
> starts here:
>
> https://twitter.com/justinschuh/status/646409306372354048

Awesome - so, great to meet you Justin.

When you say 'assist' ? =) do you mean coding ? or pointing to some
docs ?.

Certainly - we'd love to use the Chromium sand-boxing; we ship a huge
number of document / file-types which are seldom used, or present for
legacy compatibility - and which generally produce ODF (often via SAX
style callbacks IIRC).

It would be fantastic (if it's possible) to isolate these re-using your
sandbox; we'd be very happy to point to the code-locations to hook that
in (if you're in evangelism mode), or - failing that to co-mentor a
Google Summer of Code piece to try to do that.

I CC Fridrich - the mastermind behind much of the Document Liberation
work, in case he has something to add. Fridrich - how hard would it be
to put a stream / transfer-whole-file interface between DLP filters and
the LibreOffice core ? (and/or is it a good idea ? ;-)

Alex - thanks for the introduction.

ATB,

Michael.

--
michae...@collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

Justin Schuh

Oct 7, 2015, 7:38:36 PM10/7/15
to Michael Meeks, Alexander Cherepanov, security-dev, lsecurity, Fridrich Strba
Sorry, didn't see this before.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Michael Meeks <michae...@collabora.com> wrote:
Hi Justin & Alex,

On Sun, 2015-09-27 at 00:05 +0300, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> On 2014-11-26 21:07, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >> At upstream level many things could also be done. From showing warning
> >> before importing exotic formats to sandboxing importers.
> >
> >     If you have a creative approach to sandboxing importers, I'm interested
> > - would be a bit of development work; but of course possible - we could
> > spawn external processes [ and how to sandbox those ? ] - but basically
> > anything is possible for someone wanting to contribute.

        Right =)

> This question came up on Twitter and it seems that Justin Schuh (Chrome
> browser security tech lead, at least a couple of years ago) is ready to
> assist LibreOffice with sandboxing. In case you missed it, the thread
> starts here:
>
> https://twitter.com/justinschuh/status/646409306372354048

        Awesome - so, great to meet you Justin.

        When you say 'assist' ? =) do you mean coding ? or pointing to some
docs ?.

I meant technical assistance rather than coding.

        Certainly - we'd love to use the Chromium sand-boxing; we ship a huge
number of document / file-types which are seldom used, or present for
legacy compatibility - and which generally produce ODF (often via SAX
style callbacks IIRC).

        It would be fantastic (if it's possible) to isolate these re-using your
sandbox; we'd be very happy to point to the code-locations to hook that
in (if you're in evangelism mode), or - failing that to co-mentor a
Google Summer of Code piece to try to do that.

Having a Summer of Code project sounds like a great idea.

        I CC Fridrich - the mastermind behind much of the Document Liberation
work, in case he has something to add. Fridrich - how hard would it be
to put a stream / transfer-whole-file interface between DLP filters and
the LibreOffice core ? (and/or is it a good idea ? ;-)

Yeah, that's pretty much the strategy. It would be trivial to sandbox if you can break it out to a standalone process that accepts a file as input and emits a file as output.

Michael Meeks

Oct 9, 2015, 4:08:32 AM10/9/15
to Justin Schuh, Alexander Cherepanov, security-dev, lsecurity, Fridrich Strba

On Wed, 2015-10-07 at 16:37 -0700, Justin Schuh wrote:
> Sorry, didn't see this before.

No problem.

> I meant technical assistance rather than coding.

=)

> we'd be very happy to point to the code-locations to hook that
> in (if you're in evangelism mode), or - failing that to
> co-mentor a Google Summer of Code piece to try to do that.
>
> Having a Summer of Code project sounds like a great idea.

It would be great to add the bones of the idea, and your contact
details (put mine down to - I'm happy to co-mentor) in the wiki so we
don't forget it come next year:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/Ideas

> Yeah, that's pretty much the strategy. It would be trivial to sandbox
> if you can break it out to a standalone process that accepts a file as
> input and emits a file as output.

Hopefully that's reasonably trivial.

Thanks !

Michael.

Justin Schuh

Oct 29, 2015, 11:42:34 AM10/29/15
to Michael Meeks, Chris Palmer, ric...@chromium.org, Justin Schuh, Alexander Cherepanov, security-dev, lsecurity, Fridrich Strba
Hey, I just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten about this. I've CC'd Ricky and Chris, who've both expressed interest in sponsoring this as a GSoC project, and providing technical assistance.

Ricky, Chris, it looks like this is the place where you'd register the project on their end: