TLS 1.3 and Captive Portals

Craig Francis

Dec 3, 2015, 11:19:38 AM12/3/15
to public-w...@w3.org, security-dev
Hi,

Not sure where the discussion is happening with TLS 1.3, but just a though...

When someone first connects to a captive portal (e.g. hotel WiFi), they typically redirect any requests to a login/terms/payment page.

If that redirect is done for a HTTPS connection, then the browser will/should complain (bad certificate).

Would it be possible for the TLS 1.3 handshake to support this situation?

So maybe the browser gets a response which does not attempt to give a certificate, but is simply a URL to redirect the user to.

Then the browser can show a nice and friendly error message, and a link for the user to load (if they want to).

Craig

Richard Barnes

Dec 3, 2015, 11:39:29 AM12/3/15
to Craig Francis, public-w...@w3.org, security-dev
This would be better for t...@ietf.org

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse brevity.

Hodges, Jeff

Dec 3, 2015, 11:40:50 AM12/3/15

<t...@ietf.org>

>When someone first connects to a captive portal

there is a nascent IETF captive portal WG (capport)..

capport: Captive Portals WG
* capport wg is close to being chartered, ought to be accomplished before
IETF-95:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/capport/charter/

* this relevant non-WG foundational I-D is already near-RFC..

Captive-Portal Identification in DHCP / RA
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wkumari-dhc-capport/

The authors note that this draft is "not a complete solution..", thus
implying the need for chartering the capport WG in order to further
specify whatever it is that is missing.

hth,

=JeffH

Craig Francis

Dec 3, 2015, 11:49:30 AM12/3/15
to Hodges, Jeff, public-w...@w3.org, security-dev
Great, thanks Jeff, really glad to hear that is already being considered (and embarrassing I didn't find these after a quick search).

And Richard, thanks for the quick reply as well.