Re: Interstitials for websites with outdated server software

Message has been deleted

Eran Messeri

Jan 24, 2018, 5:28:57 AM1/24/18
to Security-dev
Just a bystander opinion, I have no official stake or say on the matter:
There are a few problems with this proposal:
- Not actionable: The visitor to a website with outdated software can do nothing about the warning and does not even know what the risks a particular "outdated software" presents.
- Warning shown to the wrong person: It's the website owner that can do something about outdated software, not the visitor.
- Technically difficult: There are many HTTP servers out there, collecting a list of all of them and determining which versions are outdated, then keeping this list up-to-date, would be very time-consuming. And the major serving HTTP stacks are not necessarily open/versionable.
- Warning fatigue: My understanding is that Chrome tries to minimize the number of warnings shown to users to avoid training users to skip/ignore warnings.

In short, it would be a lot of technical work for dubious benefit (no guarantee that owners of websites running on outdated software would update just to avoid a skippable warning).
Eran

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:48 AM, 93m4q...@gmail.com <93m4q...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chrome already promotes secure HTTPS connections and warns you with interstitial pages if you try to visit a site with invalid HTTPS, which is extremely important since HTTP connections are dangerously insecure. In addition to that, considering how there are a number of sites out there with outdated server software and outdated server software is loaded with known security vulnerabilities, I think it would also be good if Chrome displayed an interstitial page when you try to visit a website with outdated server software. Does Chromium have any opinions on whether or not this should be done?

PhistucK

Jan 25, 2018, 4:37:44 PM1/25/18
to Eran Messeri, Security-dev
In most cases, a server does not expose its version (I assume you are discussing the HTTP headers here, I do not know whether the TLS handshake or similar provides any version information). How many cases did you encounter where a server did expose its version?

PhistucK

Craig Francis

Jan 26, 2018, 9:46:12 AM1/26/18
to PhistucK, Eran Messeri, Security-dev
Even if the server did report it's version number, most Linux distros (e.g. RedHat) will keep the version number the same after patching.