Autocomplete other fields

Peter Buck

Nov 19, 2013, 12:24:29 PM11/19/13
to requestau...@chromium.org
I often want to autocomplete fields other than address and credit card--for instance, my 14-digit library card and 4-digit pin.  I've used other browsers which "just did" this.  As near as I can tell, Chrome doesn't support this feature.  Discussions of enabling tags in the page source aren't useful as I'm not designing the pages.  Please keep this in mind as requestAutocomplete is developed.

Ilya Sherman

Nov 19, 2013, 1:58:19 PM11/19/13
to Peter Buck, requestau...@chromium.org
Hi Peter,

Thanks for emailing.  requestAutocomplete is really focused on entering information that's reused across many websites, rather than something like site-specific ids and passwords, which are only used on a single website.

In Chrome, the Autofill feature includes as a subset the functionality that's referred to as "autocomplete" in several other browsers.  This is intended to support the use cases that you've described, though it has some limitations: It won't remember data for fields marked autocomplete="off", and it won't save numbers that "look like credit card numbers", which might be triggering for your 14-digit library card [1].  If you see any bugs beyond that, please file them on the Chromium bug tracker: http://crbug.com

Cheers,
~ilya

[1] Specifically, a number is considered to "look like a credit card number" if it passes the Luhn checksum: http://www.ee.unb.ca/cgi-bin/tervo/luhn.pl