Name fields

jbho...@gmail.com

May 17, 2013, 11:41:24 AM5/17/13
to requestau...@chromium.org
The current documentation I'm looking at says that only a full name will be populated. What are the chances that given-name and family-name could be included in the fields populated by requestAutocomplete?

I don't know how common it is in general, but the two back end commerce systems I have worked with take the first and last name separately, for very good reasons. There is no reliable way to split a full name into first and last name, so we use two separate fields. Obviously I'm excited to use requestAutocomplete, but to be a best fit, we need the names separately.

Albert Bodenhamer

May 17, 2013, 12:51:56 PM5/17/13
to jbho...@gmail.com, requestautocomplete
Names are a big can of worms.  The problem is that not everyone has a "given name" and "family name" so it's not always meaningful to split it up like that.  We've had a lot of internal arguments on the team about it.

We're left with a bunch of unattractive options:
  1. Ask for name as a single field.
  2. Always ask for family and given as separate fields.
  3. Sometimes work with split names, sometimes with a single field.
Each carries its own problems.

We recommend that site owners ask for a single string since we're sure we can get that right.  If you NEED the name split you can tag fields as "given-name" and "family-name".  We'll do the best we can to give it to you, but we can't guarantee it'll be right in all cases.

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM, <jbho...@gmail.com> wrote:
The current documentation I'm looking at says that only a full name will be populated. What are the chances that given-name and family-name could be included in the fields populated by requestAutocomplete?

I don't know how common it is in general, but the two back end commerce systems I have worked with take the first and last name separately, for very good reasons. There is no reliable way to split a full name into first and last name, so we use two separate fields. Obviously I'm excited to use requestAutocomplete, but to be a best fit, we need the names separately.

Albert Bodenhamer | Software Engineer | abodenha@chromium.org

Evan Stade

May 17, 2013, 5:04:36 PM5/17/13
to Albert Bodenhamer, jbho...@gmail.com, requestautocomplete
yea, I think what it boils down to is that:

1. tokenization is hard
2. concatenation is hard

What Albert says about given-name and family-name is true, except that doesn't work yet. Fixing that should not be hard: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=241886

-- Evan Stade