Desktop Ozone/Wayland and Window System

Antonio Gomes

Jan 23, 2017, 6:55:28 PM1/23/17
to Ozone-Dev
Hi all,

Frederic Wang and I are working on adding support for Desktop
Ozone/Wayland Chrome.

As a brief recap, a couple of months ago, we ran a proof-of-concept
experiment and actually managed to get Chrome/Ozone/Wayland running
on non-ChromeOS builds. Chrome was still being launched as an
"internal window" within the Mash shell, as one can see in [0].

As the code evolved, running Chrome/Mash/Ozone/Wayland on non-ChromeOS
builds became harder, since the "ash" environment it used to rely on
is now restricted to ChromeOS builds. It still possible to run
Chrome/Mash/Ozone/Wayland on non-ChromeOS builds using the "simple_wm"
[2] window manager instead "ash", but it has its own UI issues.

Thomas Anderson also got a compile-only buildbot up and running for
this configuration [1], which allows us to more easily garden this set
up.

We are now back to the original effort of running full Chrome builds
with Ozone/Wayland. That means adding "external window" capability to
Chrome/Ozone/Wayland. As a first step, we worked on getting a better
understanding of bigger picture, and Fred actually published his
analysis of the Mus Window System in [3] - feedback welcome.

If you have interest on the topic and are attending to BlinkOn7, we
would like to have a session (I have a preference for a more a
round-table conversation?) to discuss details, planning, etc in [4]
(feel free to upvote it).

Best,

[0] https://people.igalia.com/agomes/mus+ash/chrome_mash_ozone_wayland_non-chromeos-oct12.png
[1] https://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.fyi/builders/Ozone%20Linux/