Ozone-gbm in VMware

des...@netlove.rs

Jan 22, 2015, 9:35:28 AM1/22/15
to ozon...@chromium.org
Hello,

I'm interested about using the Ozone-gbm platform, but I'm not sure if it is stable enough. I tried to build the content_shell at least a dozen times with not much luck.
I used this GYP_DEFINES:
export GYP_DEFINES="embedded=1 ozone_platform_gbm=1"
Sometimes I added the `disable_nacl=1` too, because I don't really need it.
When I built without `ozone_platform_gbm`, and used the dri platform it kind of worked, the google homepage showed up, but only for the first time. When I killed the program, and tried to run it again I only saw a black screen, but when I added the log attributes (`--log-level=0 --enable-logging=stderr --v=1`) I saw that the webpage still loads, but I couldn't see a thing, and I'm not sure why.
The gbm platform however never worked for me. And the last few days I wasn't able to build it either, because of compilation errors.

So my main question is: is it supposed to work inside a VMware virtual machine? Or is this behavior expected at the moment?

By the way, I tried to follow these instructions too:
https://github.com/kalyankondapally/Chromium-OzoneGBM
But is it really necessary to use a separate Mesa install when the Chromium source already has one? I couldn't wrap my head around this.

Thanks!
Csaba

Daniel Nicoara

Jan 22, 2015, 11:18:06 AM1/22/15
to des...@netlove.rs, ozon...@chromium.org
I am not aware of GBM support for the vmware driver, so you're not going to be able to run that backend in VMWare.

You're likely stuck using the dri platform on vmware.

Dongseong Hwang

Feb 16, 2015, 3:49:18 PM2/16/15
to ozon...@chromium.org, des...@netlove.rs
Hi, I also tried to test ozone gbm but failed.
I build both embedded and cros on Ubuntu and try to launch chrome or content_shell on VT (ctrl+alt+f1) after stopping lightdm, but always failed to create egl image (eglCreateImageKHR)

GYP_DEFINES I used is as follows,
embedded: embedded=1 ozone_platform=gbm
cros: chromeos=1 use_ozone=1 ozone_platform=gbm

command line I used is as follows,
embedded: content_shell --no-sandbox --ozone-platform=gbm --ozone-use-surfaceless
cros: chrome --no-sandbox --ozone-platform=gbm --ozone-use-surfaceless

Could you kindly update how to build and test ozone gbm in wiki?

I have few questions
1. Which embedded or cros do ozone developers usually use?
2. Do I have to stop lightdm or window manager?
3. Is --ui-disable-threaded-compositing needed?
4. Do anyone success to use any VM? e.g. KVM QEMU VirtualBox VMWare

Thanks in advance!
- DS

Dongseong Hwang

Feb 17, 2015, 5:42:13 AM2/17/15
to ozon...@chromium.org, des...@netlove.rs
cros.txt
embedded.txt

Tiago Vignatti

Feb 24, 2015, 10:52:46 AM2/24/15
to ozon...@chromium.org
Hi,

Your gist log tells that you're running as a normal user, so you either
have to give permission for the file descriptors mentioned
(/dev/input/*) or just run as root user -- that's what I do mostly. That
should fix the remaining problems. Besides, it might be that GPU process
is hanging somewhere else, so double check that by starting the target
with --single-process and also calling via gdb.

And now answering the questions below:

1. the GYP_DEFINES flags you mentioned are pretty much what I use as
well. So that should be fine.

2. Multiple resources accesses are always tricky and usually left behind
when new architectures are introduced. That said, you definitely need to
stop any other graphics stuff that needs kernel resources like tty, drm,
gbm, evdev etc because Ozone GBM won't play along with them.

3. not sure. I don't use it at least.

4. I never heard about anyone having success with a virtual environment
on GBM. As dnicoara said, it might be that it just works with the
software stack (Ozone DRI), but I'd say to start simple and forget at
this moment about virtualization if you're starting to hack on Ozone.

Regards,

Tiago
> an email to ozone-dev+...@chromium.org
> <mailto:ozone-dev+...@chromium.org>.

abhiji...@vayavyalabs.com

Feb 26, 2018, 10:01:29 PM2/26/18
to Ozone-Dev, des...@netlove.rs

Hi every one,

We are planning to use ozone-gbm based chromium for our development board. It is based on ARM7 and has mesa implementation for OPEN GLES 2.0. Can you please let me know what may be other dependencies in order to get ozone-gbm? Do I need minigbm port for mesa?

Daniel Nicoara

Feb 27, 2018, 10:23:41 AM2/27/18
to abhiji...@vayavyalabs.com, Ozone-Dev, des...@netlove.rs
You'd need support for DRM/KMS for vmware and minigbm support. There's some basic DRM/KMS support, though I've never used it so I'm not sure how far along it is. As far as minigbm, I'm unaware of any support right now. I'm not sure if there's any mesa GBM support either. But you'd need it and it should be working with the EGL/GLES stack in order to get things going.