Which flags do I export properly while building chromium browser code on Chromebook (ChromeOS)?

chuck...@intel.com

Mar 2, 2015, 10:16:09 PM3/2/15
to ozon...@chromium.org
Hi all:
I fetched the browser code and built bin based on this link (http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/how-tos-and-troubleshooting/building-chromium-browser)
I can "deploy_chrome" the browser code and see the login window successfully with x-server on chrome OS device for debug build.
But I can not see the login window successfully after ozone was enabled. I followed the link (http://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/ozone)
but those flags do not work for me in debug build.

In short, the below flags work in release build with ozone but do not work in debug build at my end.

export GYP_DEFINES="chromeos=1 use_ozone=1 ozone_platform=gbm ozone_platform_gbm=1 clang=1 ozone_platform_dri=1 component=static_library ozone_auto_platforms=0 remove_webcore_debug_symbols=1 use_ash=1 use_aura=1 system_libdir=lib64 target_arch=x64"

Are those flags set properly for ozone enabling?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chuck...@intel.com

Mar 5, 2015, 9:18:58 PM3/5/15
to ozon...@chromium.org, chuck...@intel.com
Hi all:
I listed my testing platform and steps as below:

(Successful Case):
HW: Baytrail without Ozone-Freon(swanky)
Step:
1. export GYP_DEFINES="chromeos=1 fastbuild=1 remove_webcore_debug_symbols=1"
2. ./build/gyp_chromium
3. ninja -C out/Debug chrome chrome_sandbox nacl_helper
4. cros chrome-sdk --board=x86-generic --nogoma
5. ./deploy_chrome --build-dir=../../../out/Debug --to=192.168.42.1 --sloppy --force
Result:
Login window can be seen in debug/release build.

(Fail Case):
HW: BDW (yxxx) with Ozone-Freon
Step:
1. export GYP_DEFINES="chromeos=1 use_ozone=1 ozone_platform=gbm ozone_platform_gbm=1 component=static_library remove_webcore_debug_symbols=1 fastbuild=1"
2. ./build/gyp_chromium
3. ninja -C out/Debug chrome chrome_sandbox nacl_helper
4. cros chrome-sdk --board=x86-generic --nogoma
5. ./deploy_chrome --build-dir=../../../out/Debug --to=192.168.42.1 --sloppy --force
Result:
1. Can see the login window in release build but sometimes the login window will blink automatically.
2. Cannot see the login window in debug build and it hanged in chromium log or black window.

I distinguished the support of Ozone-Freon by Frecon (VT2).
In the folder of overlay/project-freon, I just saw
OZONE_PLATFORM="dri gbm" & OZONE_PLATFORM_DEFAULT="gbm" and tried it but the issue is still seen. The log is similar between in debug and release build. Crash stacks were seen in debug build only.

Is there any tip to let me try it?

Thanks.
Chuck

Daniel Nicoara

Mar 6, 2015, 10:06:48 AM3/6/15
to chuck...@intel.com, ozon...@chromium.org
It seems that your ChromeOS image is X11 based. You'll need to get/build a Freon based ChromeOS image first. Then building and deploying Chrome as you mentioned should work.

chuck...@intel.com

Mar 6, 2015, 7:35:24 PM3/6/15
to ozon...@chromium.org, chuck...@intel.com
I checked it by "ps aux | grep X" in my local build image. For Baytrail device (successful case). It's based on X11. For BDW device (fail case), there is no X. So it should be based on Freon. Since it's workable for release build on BDW with ozone-freon. Could you help confirming the below things?

1. Are those flags workable for debug build also?
2. I always get access denied, ex: --board=swanky, wolf and BDW projects
so use x86-generic instead. Is it a must for chrome-sdk --board=BDW projects?

Thank you.

Chuck

Daniel Nicoara

Mar 9, 2015, 10:27:24 AM3/9/15
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM, <chuck...@intel.com> wrote:
I checked it by "ps aux | grep X" in my local build image. For Baytrail device (successful case). It's based on X11. For BDW device (fail case), there is no X. So it should be based on Freon. Since it's workable for release build on BDW with ozone-freon. Could you help confirming the below things?

1. Are those flags workable for debug build also?

Should work for debug builds as well.

2. I always get access denied, ex: --board=swanky, wolf and BDW projects
   so use x86-generic instead. Is it a must for chrome-sdk --board=BDW projects?

My understanding is that as long as you're compiling for the correct processor family, the simple-chrome instructions should work.

Yuly Novikov

Mar 9, 2015, 10:48:48 AM3/9/15
to Daniel Nicoara, chuck...@intel.com, ozon...@chromium.org
On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Daniel Nicoara <dnic...@chromium.org> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM, <chuck...@intel.com> wrote:
I checked it by "ps aux | grep X" in my local build image. For Baytrail device (successful case). It's based on X11. For BDW device (fail case), there is no X. So it should be based on Freon. Since it's workable for release build on BDW with ozone-freon. Could you help confirming the below things?

1. Are those flags workable for debug build also?

Should work for debug builds as well.

2. I always get access denied, ex: --board=swanky, wolf and BDW projects
   so use x86-generic instead. Is it a must for chrome-sdk --board=BDW projects?

My understanding is that as long as you're compiling for the correct processor family, the simple-chrome instructions should work.
And the correct processor family for swanky and wolf is amd64-generic, I believe.

chuck...@intel.com

Mar 9, 2015, 12:15:36 PM3/9/15
to ozon...@chromium.org, chuck...@intel.com
Dear all:
The issue was not seen in the specific local build (R43.2324) of chromium
browser and I need to remove DCHECK(IsPresent()) in the part codes of blue tooth to prevent from this issue. But I sill do not know why the previous version of chromium browser does not work.
Thanks all inputs, supposedly, target_arch=x64 should work for x64.
Will try "amd64-generic" also.

Michael Spang

Mar 9, 2015, 2:11:09 PM3/9/15
to Yuly Novikov, Daniel Nicoara, chuck...@intel.com, ozon...@chromium.org
On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Yuly Novikov <ynov...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

It's not supported to use the wrong board. And for this case amd64-generic is very wrong, you probably won't even get gbm headers. So this isn't a productive approach.

I am not actually sure how or if simple chrome is expected to work for partners. This isn't really the right forum to discuss partner access issues, though.

Michael