Fwd: Compositor and gpu presentation requests

Weiliang Chen

Feb 7, 2017, 4:28:34 PM2/7/17
to threaded-re...@chromium.org, inpu...@chromium.org
Forwarding to more adjacent teams.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Adrienne Walker <en...@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 6:40 PM
Subject: Compositor and gpu presentation requests
To: graphics-dev <graphi...@chromium.org>, pain...@chromium.org <pain...@chromium.org>

A number of folks have said that they've found videos and presentations that other engineers have done to be really helpful in terms of understanding how parts of the chrome codebase work.  I'd love to see more explanatory talks and presentations to share knowledge in the compositor and gpu stack.

To that end, have there been parts of the compositor[*] that you went to work with and wish there had been a better explanation of? Is there an area you haven't touched and are curious how it works? Especially for external or new contributors, I'd love to know where our sharp corners are and which parts are particularly confusing.

Here's a quick spreadsheet.  Please add suggestions for presentations and talks that you'd like to hear or would be interested in giving, and please add your name to any row as a +1 that you'd be interested in hearing a particular talk or about that topic.  I've seeded a few suggestions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IUl8IumXjBvxZVcd-K84uEvMcE71hJSWkHhMn0Lshr4/edit

Once we see what folks are particularly keen on hearing more about, then we can find folks interested in giving those talks.  (If you are keen on talking about anything you're working on, please don't wait on me or this spreadsheet!  Feel highly encouraged to just schedule something and give a talk whenever!)

[*] compositor and gpu defined super broadly here to be like anything through the current blink compositing and paint code, cc/ directory, display compositor, compositor scheduling, video integration, ui/cc glue, android/cc glue, animation, scrolling, compositor input, command buffer, gpu process, canvas integration, color, webgl, vulkan, &c &c &c