Rich text editing roadmap concept doc

Alexandre Elias

May 4, 2017, 5:11:30 PM5/4/17
to input-dev, Yoshifumi Inoue, Yoichi Osato, Changwan Ryu, xiaoc...@chromium.org, Chong Zhang
Hi input and editing folks, now that we are about to ship InputEvents Level 1, I wanted to write down my thinking on what we should do next in terms of web standards for editing.  I described an overall vision of how a modern web editor "should" be built in my personal opinion, and listed a bunch of practical subprojects for IME and touch interaction that I think we should prioritize.  Please feel free to comment/debate/add more suggested subprojects.

Alexandre Elias

Jul 14, 2017, 6:25:21 PM7/14/17
to input-dev, Yoshifumi Inoue, Yoichi Osato, Changwan Ryu, xiaoc...@chromium.org, Chong Zhang, Takayoshi Kochi, Ojan Vafai, Alex Russell, Yohei Yukawa, domi...@chromium.org, mfomi...@chromium.org
Thanks for all the feedback on the previous version of the doc.  I've written a new version of the roadmap which is essentially the same idea, but with some alterations and with more details/elaborations (enough to be nearly twice as long!).  I've triaged all comments I've heard so far and addressed them somewhere in the text.  Broadly, the main changes from the previous version are:
  • Added an extended preamble detailing how Android IMEs actually work, and more details about the design philosophy (which I've now acronymed "MVVC")
  • Removed all mentions of targeting WebGL.  Based on feedback I've received, I've realized that a WebGL-based rich text editor has too many special snowflake problems, which make the idea more of a distraction than a productive motivator for making widely useful primitives.
  • Nuanced and elaborated on the role of the hidden <textarea> in the architecture.  I tried to explain why *this* way of using of invisible textarea should avoid the pitfalls of the existing implementations which took that approach.
  • New subproject "Splitting apart the text selection singleton".  This was kind of implied by the other subprojects in the old doc, but it's crucial enough to be highlighted as its own section.
Because the overall tone of the feedback to the original doc was mostly positive, and I've addressed the narrower criticisms, I'm hoping to present this doc to public web standards working groups as more-or-less the consensus position of Chromium-team (rather than only my personal opinion).  Please give it a read and make comments now if you have major concerns with this philosophy for future rich text editing specwork.

Yoshifumi Inoue

Jul 21, 2017, 5:33:48 AM7/21/17
to Alexandre Elias, input-dev, Yoichi Osato, Changwan Ryu, xiaoc...@chromium.org, Chong Zhang, Takayoshi Kochi, Ojan Vafai, Alex Russell, Yohei Yukawa, domi...@chromium.org, mfomi...@chromium.org
Thanks for writing doc!
Sorry for late response, I was busy on this week, I'll allocate time to read it.