?Smooth-scroll enabled on Windows 10 results in tiny wheel scroll deltas?

Brad Lyon

Aug 20, 2017, 1:39:02 AM8/20/17
to Rick Byers, Majid Valipour, input-dev, Nolan Lawson
Hi Folks

Please feel free to point me at the relevant chrome source here for
what the smooth-scrolling flag does. I haven't been able to find it.

With smooth scrolling enabled, scrolling on a div with a mousewheel is
very very slow. It looks like deltas of about 1.25px are sent, and it
won't send lots of events if you move the wheel quickly.

Disabling smooth scrolling results in deltas of about 125px, and
things feel "normal".

So, I'm tying to figure out what I can do to work around this so that
the flag doesn't need to be disabled.

Note: the scroll event is being caught so that a separate div can be
kept in sync with it. It's not doing a lot to do this, but I was also
wondering if smooth scrolling will change its behavior if the handlers
aren't responding "quickly enough".

Thanks!

Brad Lyon

Aug 20, 2017, 2:15:34 AM8/20/17
to Rick Byers, Majid Valipour, input-dev, Nolan Lawson
nevermind folks - I had not considered catching the wheel event
separately and setting the scrolltop/left from that, which seems to
work.
--
B.F. Lyon, Ph.D.
http://bit.ly/bflyon-viz-summary

Dave Tapuska

Aug 20, 2017, 8:24:41 AM8/20/17
to Brad Lyon, Rick Byers, Majid Valipour, input-dev, Nolan Lawson
For closure: With smooth scroll on you will see a mouse wheel event with a delta value say of 120 and then a series of scroll events as that delta is animated.

dave.