Drupal issue with Pointer Events

Rick Byers

Nov 3, 2016, 1:58:39 PM11/3/16
to Mustaq Ahmed, Navid Zolghadr, ufab...@googlemail.com, input-dev, PhistucK
Given the potential urgency (Pointer Events will hit stable in a couple weeks), +input-dev and Mustaq and Navid in particular so they can take a look.  Thanks for reaching out Fabian!

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM, PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please, use crbug.com even for potentional bugs. The intent thread is not the right place anyway.
Thank you!

PhistucK

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 7:14 PM, ufabianx via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hello there,

This is Fabian from Drupal, where we recently enabled pointer events via a jQuery binding.

We received bug reports (probably those 1% that have it enabled in stable) of drag and drop being broken in our latest stable release, but only on Chrome.

The strange thing is:

   It works in Firefox with the option enabled (and apparently IE 10).

The code to reproduce is:

  jQuery(document).bind('pointermove', function(ev) { console.log(ev.clientX); });

which fails with undefined property.

While obviously:

  jQuery(document).bind('pointermove', function(ev) { console.log(ev.originalEvent.clientX); });

works.

However jQuery (pretty old version though) correctly copies the event.clientX property in Firefox, but fails in Chrome. Maybe it cannot detect the mouse event inheritance somehow?

Not sure this is really a bug though, so just reporting the finding here.

Thanks,

Fabian

Navid Zolghadr

Nov 3, 2016, 2:10:05 PM11/3/16
to Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, ufab...@googlemail.com, input-dev, PhistucK
Hey Fabian,

I just wrote an example and I couldn't reproduce the issue with the latest Canary which has latest PointerEvents enabled by default. It prints the clientX just fine. Can you give us a little more detail? Which version of jQuery do you use? Do you have a page that you can repro the problem with constantly?

Thanks,
Navid

PhistucK

Fabian Franz

Nov 3, 2016, 3:41:55 PM11/3/16
to Navid Zolghadr, Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, input-dev, PhistucK
Unfortunately I am only the messenger, but could not reproduce it myself:

  https://www.drupal.org/node/2821441#comment-11762614

is the relevant Drupal issue.

The Chrome version reported is:

  54.0.2840.87 m

and it seems to break both with jQuery 1.10 and 1.7 at least.

And the fiddle should be able to reproduce the bug.

Thanks,

Fabian

PhistucK

Fabian Franz

Nov 3, 2016, 3:43:52 PM11/3/16
to Navid Zolghadr, Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, input-dev, PhistucK
Oh and I reported a proper bug report here:

  https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=662087

if we want to track the progress.

Dave Tapuska

Nov 3, 2016, 4:00:45 PM11/3/16
to Fabian Franz, Navid Zolghadr, Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, input-dev, PhistucK, scott.g...@gmail.com
I'm cc'ng Scott as he might have an idea. Why clientX and clientY aren't available in jquery 1.10 and jquery 1.7 when PointerEvents are enabled in Chrome stable. In the meantime we will try to figure out the jquery code.

dave.

Dave Tapuska

Nov 3, 2016, 4:08:43 PM11/3/16
to Fabian Franz, Navid Zolghadr, Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, input-dev, PhistucK, scott.g...@gmail.com
I believe this was fixed in this query commit:
https://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist/commit/64d7c168c8b331cd53a3f8712e09d8c75b0e0efe

First appearing in jquery 1.11.1.

dave.

Navid Zolghadr

Nov 3, 2016, 4:30:27 PM11/3/16
to Dave Tapuska, Fabian Franz, Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, input-dev, PhistucK, scott.g...@gmail.com
I can also confirm that it used to fail with older jQuery as this example shows but as soon as I use a newer version it works just fine.

PhistucK