Re: Expected vs Actual Input Latency

Timothy Dresser

Jul 7, 2016, 10:22:57 AM7/7/16
to Progressive Web Metrics, inpu...@chromium.org
+input-dev, any thoughts on this?

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM Timothy Dresser <tdre...@chromium.org> wrote:
Doc here.

tl;dr:
Actual Input Latency is impossible to measure well except in the wild, because user input patterns are hard to predict. In CI environments, devtools, and defining a Time To Interactive metric, Expected Input Latency is superior to Actual Input Latency.

We should consider Expected Input Latency a Progressive Web Metric, but not Actual Input Latency.

Shubhie Panicker

Jul 11, 2016, 8:51:50 PM7/11/16
to Timothy Dresser, Progressive Web Metrics, inpu...@chromium.org
It sounds like you are suggesting dropping Actual Input Latency from canonical PWMs but not ruling out the possibility of making a web perf API for this down the road.
I think it will be compelling as a web perf API in the future, but makes sense to de-prioritize for PWMs.

Shubhie Panicker

Jul 11, 2016, 8:56:23 PM7/11/16
to Timothy Dresser, Progressive Web Metrics, inpu...@chromium.org
[Resending as I needed to join group to post]

It sounds like you are suggesting dropping Actual Input Latency from canonical PWMs but not ruling out the possibility of making a web perf API for this down the road.
I think it will be compelling as a web perf API in the future, but makes sense to de-prioritize for PWMs.

Tim Dresser

Jul 12, 2016, 8:04:02 AM7/12/16
to Shubhie Panicker, Progressive Web Metrics, inpu...@chromium.org
I agree that this could be a compelling web perf API, but I don't think it makes sense as a core PWM, at least for PWM's V1.

If no one objects, I'll remove it from the spreadsheet (or we can hold off and discuss it at our next meeting).

Timothy Dresser

Jul 12, 2016, 8:12:46 AM7/12/16
to Shubhie Panicker, Progressive Web Metrics, inpu...@chromium.org
I agree that this could be a compelling web perf API, but I don't think it makes sense as a core PWM, at least for PWM's V1.

If no one objects, I'll remove it from the spreadsheet (or we can hold off and discuss it at our next meeting).

Ned

Jul 12, 2016, 8:19:01 AM7/12/16
to Timothy Dresser, Shubhie Panicker, Progressive Web Metrics, inpu...@chromium.org
+1 from me. Expected Input Latency seems more actionable to me. Probably worths noting that it's in the hazard metrics family.