Handling input signals in the browser process for global scheduling decision

Alexander Timin

Sep 1, 2017, 7:10:43 AM9/1/17
to Timothy Dresser, inpu...@chromium.org, dtap...@chromium.org, Sami Kyostila, scheduler-dev
Hi Tim, Dave & input-team,

We (scheduling & GRC teams) recently started a discussion around global scheduler — having a global policy making logic in the browser process (preliminary design doc). One of the goals of this project is a global handling of user gestures (e.g. stopping all background tabs during a user gesture).

I would like to hear your thoughts about this. In particular, I have a very rough idea of the global architecture of input handling, in particular the interactions between the browser process, the main thread and the compositor thread, especially with new scrolling initiatives coming. I would appreciate if you could share some design docs around this or walk me through.

Thanks,
Alexander

Daniel Cheng

Sep 12, 2017, 12:28:21 PM9/12/17
to Alexander Timin, Timothy Dresser, inpu...@chromium.org, Dave Tapuska, Sami Kyostila, scheduler-dev
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017, 04:10 Alexander Timin <alt...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi Tim, Dave & input-team,

We (scheduling & GRC teams) recently started a discussion around global scheduler — having a global policy making logic in the browser process (preliminary design doc). One of the goals of this project is a global handling of user gestures (e.g. stopping all background tabs during a user gesture).

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this: what does it mean to stop all background tabs?

Daniel

I would like to hear your thoughts about this. In particular, I have a very rough idea of the global architecture of input handling, in particular the interactions between the browser process, the main thread and the compositor thread, especially with new scrolling initiatives coming. I would appreciate if you could share some design docs around this or walk me through.

Thanks,
Alexander

Alexander Timin

Sep 12, 2017, 12:38:52 PM9/12/17
to Daniel Cheng, Timothy Dresser, inpu...@chromium.org, Dave Tapuska, Sami Kyostila, scheduler-dev
On 12 September 2017 at 17:28, Daniel Cheng <dch...@chromium.org> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017, 04:10 Alexander Timin <alt...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi Tim, Dave & input-team,

We (scheduling & GRC teams) recently started a discussion around global scheduler — having a global policy making logic in the browser process (preliminary design doc). One of the goals of this project is a global handling of user gestures (e.g. stopping all background tabs during a user gesture).

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this: what does it mean to stop all background tabs?

In this context it means that we want to completely stop running tasks like timers in background tabs during a user gesture to reduce total load on the system and ensure that nothing gets descheduled.

Daniel