Fwd: Deprecating DMP support on Android

Ross McIlroy

Jan 7, 2015, 3:09:46 PM1/7/15
to dmp...@chromium.org, Primiano Tucci
I currently have a CL in review which will remove calls to __system_property_get from tcmalloc (due to this function being removed from the Android NDK).  A consequence of this change will be that the Deep Memory Profiler (DMP) will no longer be supported on Android since it will no longer be possible for tcmalloc to read the heapprof.* properties which are used to configure DMP.

We are currently working on a new Memory Inspector (crbug.com/340294) which will incorporate the capabilities of a number of disparate tools, including DMP, as well as being much easier to use on Android (e.g., supporting Android's default memory allocator rather than requiring Chrome to be recompiled to use tcmalloc).   However, this tool does not yet have the full capabilities of DMP, so I wanted to get a sense of whether anyone is currently using DMP on Android?

If anyone objects too strongly then it should be possible to set these parameters at compile-time on Android (as opposed to the current runtime mechanism of using adb shell setprop to set them). This shouldn't be too onerous since Android already required Chrome to be recompiled for use with DMP, however, given our current focus is on the new Memory Inspector, I would rather avoid doing this entirely if nobody is using DMP on Android.

Cheers,
Ross

Peter Pettersson

Jan 8, 2015, 8:58:51 AM1/8/15
to dmp...@chromium.org, prim...@google.com
Thanks for the heads-up Ross,

We're using DMP on Android here at Opera.

The new Memory Inspector looks very promising and I look forward to testing it, but it would be great if DMP was still usable until it's ready. Setting the parameters at run-time sounds ok, it wouldn't affect our workflow very much.

Cheers,
Peter

Harry Shan

Jan 9, 2015, 12:02:14 AM1/9/15
to dmp...@chromium.org, prim...@google.com
+1 for Peter.

Do we have a ETA on the new Memory Inspector?

Thanks
Harry

在 2015年1月8日星期四 UTC+8上午4:09:46,Ross McIlroy写道:

Ross McIlroy

Jan 9, 2015, 5:21:22 AM1/9/15
to Harry Shan, dmp...@chromium.org, Primiano Tucci, Jim Roskind
Ok, it sounds like there is still some demand for DMP on Android.  I'll rework the CL to enable us to keep DMP support but with compile-time configurations of the settings which are currently read via __system_properties_get.  I'll update the wiki with the new instructions once the change lands.

Cheers,
Ross

Message has been deleted