Re: Here is my summary of dmprof

Message has been deleted

WenSheng He

Jul 28, 2014, 11:47:16 PM7/28/14
to dmp...@chromium.org
If there is any mis-understanding, please point it out.

Dai Mikurube

Jul 29, 2014, 1:26:09 AM7/29/14
to WenSheng He, dmprof
Wow, thanks WenSheng for summarizing it! I was just thinking about documenting dmprof-internals.

Some points:

1) I didn't give a specific name to the in-Chromium dumper. If you want to call it, using the filename (deep_heap_profile.cc) may be better to avoid misunderstanding.

2) Similarly, calling third_party/tcmalloc/chromium/src/heap-profiler.cc as "gperftools' heap profiler" can avoid misunderstanding. (There are other "Heap Profilers".)

3) Finally about naming, "dmprof" sometimes means all the workflow from the dumper to the analyzer script. Calling it "the dmprof post-mortem analyzer" can avoid misunderstanding.

4) RTTI is not necessary if we don't use the type profiler. RTTI is used only by the type profiler. The dmprof script converts a virtual address to a function name only from a symbol table. Note that RTTI and a symbol table are different things. (src/tools/find_runtime_symbols/*.py really does it.)

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM, WenSheng He <zhsb...@gmail.com> wrote:
If there is any mis-understanding, please point it out.

Dai MIKURUBE
Message has been deleted

WenSheng He

Jul 29, 2014, 2:42:02 AM7/29/14
to dmp...@chromium.org, zhsb...@gmail.com
For 1) 2) 3), I have modified according to your naming advice.
For 4), I just delete the related description, I will do some more research later.
As I can not modify the original topic content, so I paste again above, please check.

在 2014年7月29日星期二UTC+8下午1时26分09秒,Dai Mikurube写道:

Dai Mikurube

Jul 29, 2014, 3:57:11 AM7/29/14
to WenSheng He, dmprof
Thank you!

Some more nit comments.

1. "Deep Heap Profiler" -> "deep_heap_profile.cc" everywhere

2. "Type Profiler" is out of gperftools' heap profiler [1.1.2]

3. mmap profiling is in gperftools' heap profiler [1.1.2]

4. It is clearer to indicate "Type Info" is optional (e.g. using parenthesis for type info), but not mandatory

Dai Mikurube

Jul 29, 2014, 4:27:23 AM7/29/14
to WenSheng He, dmprof
btw, can I use your pictures in a (work-in-progress) document describing dmprof-internals? I'll make it public finally in August.
--
Dai MIKURUBE

WenSheng He

Jul 29, 2014, 4:52:01 AM7/29/14
to dmp...@chromium.org, zhsb...@gmail.com
Of course, it's my pleasure to get your approval.
After modification, I'll attach here the original pictures, which are drawed by PPT.

在 2014年7月29日星期二UTC+8下午4时27分23秒,Dai Mikurube写道:
Message has been deleted

Dai Mikurube

Aug 5, 2014, 5:06:51 AM8/5/14
to WenSheng He, dmprof
Hi WenSheng,

Thanks for the file. When I just started to look into it, I failed to read it in Google Drive... Can you provide it in another format, or upload to Google Drive by yourself?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 6:02 PM, WenSheng He <zhsb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pictures: please see the attachment.

在 2014年7月29日星期二UTC+8下午4时27分23秒,Dai Mikurube写道:

WenSheng He

Aug 6, 2014, 9:18:50 AM8/6/14
to dmp...@chromium.org, zhsb...@gmail.com
Sorry, maybe dut to some company security policy, you cann't open the file. Tomorrow I'll try to paste the pictures directly on Google Drive.

在 2014年8月5日星期二UTC+8下午5时06分51秒,Dai Mikurube写道:

WenSheng He

Aug 6, 2014, 9:14:53 PM8/6/14
to dmp...@chromium.org, zhsb...@gmail.com
When I try to add a new ppt file on Google Drive and paste the original draw graph, it just showed as a picture. So this method seems not to work.
I'll ask office security manager whether can send unencrypted ppt out of office.

在 2014年8月5日星期二UTC+8下午5时06分51秒,Dai Mikurube写道:

WenSheng He

Aug 7, 2014, 9:45:37 PM8/7/14
to dmp...@chromium.org, zhsb...@gmail.com
I'm sorry to say that the security manager don't allow to decrypt the ppt file out of office.
If you really want the original graph, I'll re-draw them at home and upload again. But it needs some time, maybe can finish on this Sunday.

在 2014年8月5日星期二UTC+8下午5时06分51秒,Dai Mikurube写道:

WenSheng He

Aug 10, 2014, 1:28:06 AM8/10/14
to dmp...@chromium.org, zhsb...@gmail.com
I re-draw the pictures agian on Google Drive:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1O_wqA0KTu89UVKs5vlnWBASFd1om7wN40iph3taa-tY/edit?usp=sharing

在 2014年8月5日星期二UTC+8下午5时06分51秒,Dai Mikurube写道: