CT Policy Days NYC - Agenda

Ryan Hurst

Nov 1, 2017, 5:02:34 PM11/1/17
to Certificate Transparency Policy
I am looking forward to seeing folks in-person and online over the next few days.

Just like last year our plan is to structure the event as an un-conference with a focus on the break out sessions where we will discuss policy issues relating to the adoption of Chrome.

In addition to these break out sessions we are lucky to have some great speakers present issues, technologies and opportunities related to CT adoption.

The un-conference nature is designed to enable us to have the most relevant conversations with the folks who will be in attendance, this will allow us to spend more time on the topic that are most urgent and important to the group.

It also means that the schedule will be somewhat fluid, with that background bellow you will find our current tentative schedule.

Day #1

Session

Presenter

Start Time

Duration

Introductions & Logistics

Ryan / Devon

9:00 am

15 min

The Direction of CT

Devon

9:15 am

15 min

User Agent CT Policies

Devon

9:30 am

30 min

Break out session selection/scheduling

Ryan / Devon

10:00 am

45 min

Break

All

10:45 am

15 min

Break out Sessions #1

All

11:00 am

1 hour

Lunch

All

12:00 pm

1 hour

Break out Sessions #1 Presentations

Session Group Leads

1:00 pm

1 hour

Next generation logs and Trillian

Al / et al

2:00 pm

30 min

Break out Sessions #2

All

2:30 pm

1 hour

Break

All

3:30 pm

15 min

Break out Sessions #2 Presentations

Session Group Leads

3:45 pm

1 hour

Downtime

All

4:45 pm

1:15 hour

Dinner

All

6:00 pm

--

Day #2

Introductions & Logistics

Ryan / Devon

9:00 am

30 min

CT in the US Government

Lachelle and Deb

9:30 am

45 min

Break out session selection/scheduling

Ryan / Devon

10:15 am

30 min

Break

All

10:45 am

15 min

Break out Sessions #3

All

11:00 am

1 hour

Lunch

All

12:00 pm

1 hour

Break out Sessions #3 Presentations

Session Group Leads

1:00 pm

1 hour

Let’s Encrypt and Certificate Transparency

Roland

2:00 pm

15 min

2:30 pm

Next Steps

Meeting details have been mailed to those individuals who have registered, if you have not received the details let me know.

Ryan Hurst

Devon O'Brien

Dec 4, 2017, 5:45:31 PM12/4/17
to Certificate Transparency Policy

On November 2nd and 3rd, we held the second CT Policy Days event at Google NYC. Turn out for the event was great; we had over 40 people present in person and regularly had over 15 participating remotely.

We had representatives from browsers (Microsoft, Apple, Mozilla and Google) as well as from CAs, log operators, log monitors, enterprises, governments, and other interested parties.

The focus of the event was largely to provide an ecosystem status update and to clarify what would common elements and approaches should browsers include when defining their log inclusion policies.

We had presentations from the Google CT team where they brought up an instance of the Trillian Log Server real time, we heard about Apple’s implementation of CT, the US Government talked about their CT plans, and Let’s Encrypt discussed the plans to deploy a log server based on Trillian in 2018. Even though CloudFlare could not attend they did announce their new Trillian based log server at the same time of the event as a show of support and DigiCert discussed their new log that will be released soon.

The feedback from both local participants and remote participants was that the event was both constructive and a good use of their time. I know that within Google, we found the event hugely valuable in shaping how we will spend our efforts over the next year.

As we have done previously we structured the event into break-out sessions where the attendees expressed interest and willingness to discuss the various topics. Based on those conversations the following topics were discussed:

Log Compliance Monitoring and Availability

What happens in April 2018 (CT Enforcement)?

Overzealous Logging and Policy Implications (DoS, accept revoked/expired?)

Log Architecture & Scaling (Internal Operations)

Pain points in Log operation & encouraging new log operators to join the fray

Non-publicly trusted Logs & Use Cases

Impacts of CT to Site Operators & Cloud Services

Towards multiple UA Policies

Improving the Log Evaluation Period / Log Lifecycle

Log Operator Incident Response (Policy Violations)

RFC 6962-bis

Each breakout session was lead by an in-person attendee who also captured rough notes (where possible) and then presented back to the group. I have attached unedited copies of those notes from these conversations for reference.

At the close of the event, we discussed best timing for the next event and it seemed it made the most sense for it to happen some time proximal to the April, 2018 date that Chrome is targeting for CT Enforcement. There was also some interest in the event being coordinated with the IETF event in London in March just before the enforcement date. We would be interested in seeing feedback on list regarding timing and locations for the next instance of this event so please let us know.

I want to thank everyone who participated remotely or in person; this was a great event and that would not have been possible without each and every one of you.

Ryan Hurst and Devon O’Brien

Google

CT Policy Days Breakout Session Notes.pdf