acer chromebook won't recover

Brian Robinson

Feb 17, 2016, 3:17:49 AM2/17/16
to Chromium OS discuss
As is the same for many others. Was online and my acer chromebook froze, powered off and powered on to get the 'chrome os is missing or damaged' screen. Tried the recovery and got the 'unexpected error' screen...tried ALL that I have read. Different usb's extra...still won't recover.
Is there a solution to this issue...I have seen none.
Brian

Mike Frysinger

Feb 17, 2016, 11:41:02 AM2/17/16
to Chromium OS discuss
at the "missing or damaged" screen, please hit the tab key, take a picture of the screen (make sure the text is legible), and then post that pic here
-mike

Brian Robinson

Feb 18, 2016, 4:26:06 AM2/18/16
to Chromium OS discuss
hey, thanks for getting back to me...I know where you are going with this. Obviously there is no fix or you would just tell me how to do it. The 'tab after' screen is numbers and text and "no bootable disk found." I have read posts about this dating back to 2014 and no one has posted a solution...one guy fluked out and salvaged a recovery on his third time...I once did a recovery and it worked fine...but now I can't get past the verifying usb stage...tried 4 different flash drives (none being a sandisk) and literally all the little tricks I have read in posts dating back to 2014.
I just want to hear what you are thinking...what do you want with this tab screen...what will this tell you...?
I'm being like this because obviously there is major malfnction or the recovety would just work and or you would just be able to give me a fix. What have guys discovered to be the problem and we can go from there before you rn me through everything I have already done...if its trash its trash...just say so;)
Best Regards,
Brian

Brian Robinson

Feb 18, 2016, 4:31:47 AM2/18/16
to Chromium OS discuss
Hi again...I removed the back cover, and removed the hard drive. Cleaned the contacts and made sure the ribbon was plugged in tight...did some 'jiggling' and 'blowing'. Very technical.
I think if anyone is having the same issues as we all have been having...remove the hard drive and make sure the ribbon is plugged in tight clean the contacts...and don't be above jiggling and blowing...I have been working on my Acer Chromebook for a week and it was almost time for the laptop to go to the woodshed chopping block...until I did this;)

Brian Robinson

Feb 18, 2016, 4:44:18 AM2/18/16
to Chromium OS discuss
PS...I don't think this will be a permanent fix...right after I recovered the chromebook it crashed again at the sign in stage. I powered off and on and it booted up...AND now literally as I write this its done it again...something must be wrong with the drive...so, I am not expecting a permanent fix here

Brian Robinson

Feb 18, 2016, 5:13:12 AM2/18/16
to Chromium OS discuss
It just crashed again and won't recover this time...so that didn't work. Add that to another list of things that don't work.
Waiting for a solution...or maybe its just broken...all things have a life time...

Mike Frysinger

Feb 18, 2016, 8:56:17 AM2/18/16
to Chromium OS discuss
checking the connection was what i was going to recommend, but you beat me to it :)

if you don't care about the data on there, i would try dong the recovery process now that the drive is detected.  i'm not sure we have any utilities off the shelf to do drive scrubbing to detect errors ...
-mike

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Brian Robinson <bboy...@gmail.com> wrote:
It just crashed again and won't recover this time...so that didn't work. Add that to another list of things that don't work.
 Waiting for a solution...or maybe its just broken...all things have a life time...

Brian Robinson

Feb 18, 2016, 8:59:34 AM2/18/16
to Chromium OS discuss
Hi again...it seems to be related to how the hard drive sits in its slot against the back cover of the chromebook. I disconnected the battery, removed the back cover, re/re the hard drive and reinstalled the battery with the chromebook in the vertical position...looking down at the screen...it rebooted fine...as soon as I replaced the cover and placed it horizontal it shut off and On reboot got the error page. I did this 3 times to confirm.
I straightened the back cover and added a thin spacer on the inside of the cover where it meets the hard drive...rebooted and its fine...powered off and on 3 times and it rebooted fine...still working.
So perhaps its the hard drive moving around and jiggling the ribbon loose...

Brian Robinson

Feb 24, 2016, 6:44:35 AM2/24/16
to Chromium OS discuss
Well...Whatever the reasons behind the Chromebook OS failing, there doesn't seem to be a permanent solution. If it is the drive connection then it is so small its impossible to fix permanently. I have recovered my OS probably 15 times in the last week, sometimes 3 times in 15 minutes...and the problem is still occurring. I am also thinking that perhaps the OS has picked up a bug that is causing the issues. The crashing comes and goes and is not predictable.
 As well. This Chromebook is just about 4 yrs old and its possible its life is over.
 I find it odd that Google has not figured out this issue and or is afraid to say that "hey, its time to replace your Chromebook." Save everyone the stress of posting over and over again.
 And by the way to the Google rep that was trying to help me. As if you were going to suggest check the connections...it was only after I did it and told you that you said I beat you to it. You guys have NO idea what is causing the problem...or you would have suggested that A LONG TIME AGO instead of telling people to use a non-Sandisk USB for the recovery...like that makes a difference.

DennisLfromGA

Feb 24, 2016, 11:34:23 AM2/24/16
to Chromium OS discuss
If it's not the SSD connector seated properly, perhaps it's the SSD cable itself. You may be able to find one online.

Mike Frysinger

Feb 24, 2016, 3:08:48 PM2/24/16
to Brian Robinson, Chromium OS discuss
a few things:
(1) i think you're mixing up cause/effect here.  most likely it isn't the crashes causing the "os is damaged" screen to appear, but the hardware disconnects are causing the crashes & os damaged screen.  software cannot fix misbehaving hardware (if that is the source of your problems).
(2) this list is not an "official" support channel ... it's about discussing Chromium OS.  if you want official support, then you should be following the support page:
(3) since this isn't an official support channel, you won't get official answers, by design.
(4) Google is not Acer.  asking for hardware support from Google for Acer products doesn't make much sense.  if you have a concern with your Acer product, feel free to contact Acer about it.  that includes concerns that the device might be broken.
(5) companies selling Chrome OS devices, such as Acer, have warranties & RMA processes to help resolve possible hardware issues.

hope that helps
-mike

jga...@fjuhsd.org

Feb 7, 2018, 11:48:37 AM2/7/18
to Chromium OS discuss, bboy...@gmail.com
Chromebooks just don't seem to be right there yet.  I work for a school district where we went one to one with Acer R11s.  The issues we are seeing are the OS missing error and screen problems.  We follow the shim method to reinstall the OS and that works some of the time but not always.  The other issues with the screens are the biggest problem though.  I have tried repairing the screens by following Acers instructions but it isn't always just the screens.  Sometimes the connections to the motherboards, or even the modules just don't connect right.  I don't know if this is poor manufacturing and just poor components but it will cost more to fix the screens than buying a whole new chromebook.  The real problem is , it's not just a minimal amount of chromebooks that have the problems.  It's enough to be concerning.  These are all past the one year warranty.  Very frustrating.

Keith I Myers

Feb 7, 2018, 11:53:33 AM2/7/18
to jga...@fjuhsd.org, Chromium OS discuss, bboy...@gmail.com
Hello,
Have you brought these concerns to Acer directly?

FULLERTON JOINT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT E-MAIL DISCLAIMER This communication and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages attached to it constitute an electronic communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 USCA 2510. This communication may contain non-public, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated recipient(s). The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA 2511 and any applicable law

Tom Mitchell

Dec 6, 2018, 1:02:58 PM12/6/18
to Chromium OS Discussion, bboy...@gmail.com
Had the same issue. OS would not load so I opened the back cover and sure enough the ribbon from the ssd was pulled out halfway. Reinserted the ribbon, made
sure the ssd adaptor was tight to the front. Placed a piece of thick foam tape against the back of the adaptor on the frame, then another piece on top of the overlapping the adaptor. This keeps the ssd from moving back and pulling the ribbon out and keeps it from jumping up and pulling loose. CB works fine now.