Built but unable to run in Virtualbox

John Mitchell

Jan 26, 2010, 6:50:23 AM1/26/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I've managed to build Chromium OS and it works well on my eeepc but I'd like to have it running on Virtualbox so I can make changes and test before I copy it to USB.  However when I boot the vdi or vmdk image it hangs at a blank screen.  The image works in vmware player and qemu (very slowly).

Is there something special I need to do in order to either create VB compatible image or create a Chromium compatible VB machine?

Thanks,

John

zfjagann

Jan 27, 2010, 1:13:56 AM1/27/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I've got the same issue. When I start up the virtual machine in
VirtualBox it just hangs at a blinking cursor.
At first I thought it was some issue with the architecture, like that
it compiled for some arch. that VirtualBox doesn't support, but it
would warn you if you tried to do that.

zfjagann

John Mitchell

Jan 27, 2010, 3:45:35 AM1/27/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I have the same build working on vmware, qemu and real hardware but not virtualbox.  I even tried VB on a different machine to be sure.  Unfortunately I can't get the vmware network driver to compile on my machine and qemu is so slow so I'd like to get it working with Virtualbox too.

Any ideas?  Is there something that needs to chance in Chromium OS or is this a VB problem?

zfjagann

Jan 27, 2010, 11:27:17 AM1/27/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I don't really think this would be a problem in just VB. I've never
had any problems with anything else I've tried.

Andrew Emmons

Feb 4, 2010, 9:06:21 AM2/4/10
to Chromium OS discuss

Hello,

Are you still having this problem? I have it as well - cannot run the
image within VB. I can see the hard drive icon flickering and briefly
the network icon but then a blank screen. I have tried in VB on
Windows and Ubunbu. I've also tried as it suggests in the FAQ to enter
the console screen.

noller1

Feb 4, 2010, 1:15:54 PM2/4/10
to Chromium OS discuss
The VDI I built seems to work fine......You might try replacing these
2 sections in your ?.xml config for your Virtual Box Machine.

<Hardware version="2">
<CPU count="1">
<HardwareVirtEx enabled="true" exclusive="false"/>
<HardwareVirtExNestedPaging enabled="false"/>
<HardwareVirtExVPID enabled="false"/>
<PAE enabled="false"/>
</CPU>

<BIOS>
<ACPI enabled="false"/>
<IOAPIC enabled="false"/>
<Logo fadeIn="true" fadeOut="true" displayTime="0"/>
<BootMenu mode="MessageAndMenu"/>
<TimeOffset value="0"/>
<PXEDebug enabled="false"/>
</BIOS>
And make sure your hard drive is the first boot device......
See if that helps....