Windows installer for Chromium OS

Markec

Jun 29, 2010, 6:04:35 AM6/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I want to to try out Chromium OS on my Windows XP PC. I noticed that,
of all linux distros, only Ubuntu has a Windows installer. They call
it Wubi. It would be great if Chromium OS adopts this concept. I don't
want to use live CD, USB, images or similar stuff. Windows installer
is definetely the best solution. I already dual boot Ubuntu along with
Windows XP but I would switch to Chromium OS if this happens. I think
that "official" Chrome OS should also adopt this option.

Lee Mathews

Jun 29, 2010, 7:07:23 AM6/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
It's important to remember that your best option might not be the best option for the general public. Wubi is nice, but I've had plenty of problems with it -- especially with x64 Windows installs.

Imaging to USB or SD is easy to do, and requires making no permanent changes to the host OS.

Steve Pirk

Jun 29, 2010, 11:53:21 AM6/29/10
to mrseb...@gmail.com, markos...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 03:16, Mr Seb <mrseb...@gmail.com> wrote:
This would be cool!

Though, really, it's easier to put it on a USB stick and then reboot!

You could make an installer than puts it on a USB stick though, I guess...

-S

I like carrying a few usb sticks with me when I am out and about. I generally try every netbook I see on display in stores to see if any will boot it. Then the crowd gathers... [ok, not really a crowd... ;-]

I enjoy being able to boot someone else's pc into Chromium. The reactions of my friends has usually been very positive.

ChromiumOS definitely needs the usb option...

--steve
steve pirk

Lee Mathews

Jun 29, 2010, 12:27:52 PM6/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I think so... I mean, as much as anybody else on this list does.

But you'll notice I put "might not" in my reply -- because I don't know what the answer is. Google's dev group is in a better position to make this call than me. They've got a giant test base and can dogfood things like a Windows installer to thousands of people.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Markec <markos...@gmail.com> wrote:
And you represent the general public?

On Jun 29, 1:07 pm, Lee Mathews <lmath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's important to remember that your best option might not be the best
> option for the general public. Wubi is nice, but I've had plenty of problems
> with it -- especially with x64 Windows installs.
>
> Imaging to USB or SD is easy to do, and requires making no permanent changes
> to the host OS.On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Markec <markoskem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to to try out Chromium OS on my Windows XP PC. I noticed that,
> > of all linux distros, only Ubuntu has a Windows installer. They call
> > it Wubi. It would be great if Chromium OS adopts this concept. I don't
> > want to use live CD, USB, images or similar stuff. Windows installer
> > is definetely the best solution. I already dual boot Ubuntu along with
> > Windows XP but I would switch to Chromium OS if this happens. I think
> > that "official" Chrome OS should also adopt this option.

Pavel Ivanov

Jun 29, 2010, 12:37:31 PM6/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
> Google's dev group is in a better position to make this call
> than me. They've got a giant test base and can dogfood things like a Windows
> installer to thousands of people.

I'm not from Google but as many other replies in the list said
Google's position is that Chrome OS is to be pre-installed on
specially crafted netbooks. Chrome OS won't have any installers, you
wouldn't even be able to install it on USB stick. It's possible to do
with Chromium OS only. And it won't change at least in the foreseeable
future...

Pavel

Markec

Jun 30, 2010, 12:10:39 PM6/30/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Every Linux should be able to run on any hardware, not just on
customized one. If Chrome OS will be able to run only on a special
made netbooks then I think that Google doesn't understand Linux. Linux
isn't just a code or kernel, it is a philosophy. MacOS is made to run
on a strictly specified kind of hardware, not Linux.

On Jun 29, 6:37 pm, Pavel Ivanov <paiva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Google's dev group is in a better position to make this call
> > than me. They've got a giant test base and can dogfood things like a Windows
> > installer to thousands of people.
>
> I'm not from Google but as many other replies in the list said
> Google's position is that Chrome OS is to be pre-installed on
> specially crafted netbooks. Chrome OS won't have any installers, you
> wouldn't even be able to install it on USB stick. It's possible to do
> with Chromium OS only. And it won't change at least in the foreseeable
> future...
>
> PavelOn Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Lee Mathews <lmath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think so... I mean, as much as anybody else on this list does.
> > But you'll notice I put "might not" in my reply -- because I don't know what
> > the answer is. Google's dev group is in a better position to make this call
> > than me. They've got a giant test base and can dogfood things like a Windows
> > installer to thousands of people.

Lee Mathews

Jun 30, 2010, 12:23:16 PM6/30/10
to Chromium OS discuss
It's not that Chrome OS can't run on any hardware, it's that that isn't the intended purpose. Google has a specific vision for their in-house version, and that's fine.

Anyone can take the Chromium source and port it to whatever platform they want.