Chrome(ium) OS Anti Virus?

Chris

May 27, 2011, 6:19:54 PM5/27/11
to Chromium OS discuss
So we know that Chrom(ium) is designed from the ground up to be fast
and secure but what IF the sand boxing, somehow, fails? The whole
reputation for the OS is tarnished.

As a precaution a linux malware scanner built in would provide a
last line of defence. Scanning the small hard drives of chrome OS
devices every hour or day etc... and possibly feeding results back to
the mothership. I realise that there isn't a huge amount of linux
malware but it does exist I a really don't want it a my machines or
network.
Chris

Will

May 27, 2011, 6:39:20 PM5/27/11
to Chromium OS discuss
An optional Web App that's similar to Panda Cloud, would be
preferable.....
I don't think anyone wants a bloated AV built into the OS itself.

A C

May 27, 2011, 8:24:10 PM5/27/11
to wgree...@gmail.com, christoph...@googlemail.com, Chromium OS discuss
I think that it should be an optional thing if there was AV in Chrome OS. You would have the option in the preference menu. If that happened, they should have a page stating how much time would be increased to accompany the Anti virus.

Caleb Eggensperger

May 27, 2011, 9:42:46 PM5/27/11
to christoph...@googlemail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Verified boot is better than a virus scanner -- it scans for _any_ changes of any kind to the system. You could make an argument for scanning more often than boot, but anything that did that, I would think, could be compromised by the same malicious code that installed itself.

Caleb Eggensperger
www.calebegg.com

Will

May 27, 2011, 11:33:14 PM5/27/11
to Chromium OS discuss
What about simple email scanner? An extension that utilizes ClamAV, so
we at least don't spread things around.

Caleb Eggensperger

Will

May 28, 2011, 5:02:19 PM5/28/11
to Chromium OS discuss
That's good to know, I wasn't aware of that feature... This looks like
an issue that may be put to rest for now.

Kenny Strawn

May 28, 2011, 10:28:57 PM5/28/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I'm agreeing with Will here. However, I also know that Chrome OS is extremely hardened against viruses and rootkits, especially since the root partition cannot be written to easily. Not to mention that *all* apps reside in basically their own chroot jails, so the chances of a packaged app or something infecting the entire Cr-48, Chromebook or Chromebox are incredibly slim.

The only thing that probably will be of security concern is a window-based JavaScript fork bomb, in that case a reboot is a quick fix. And probably an increase in phishing, but that can easily be fixed.