getting chrome os without having a chrome book

Thunder Moon

Oct 27, 2012, 10:36:13 PM10/27/12
to chromium-...@chromium.org
hi I am wondering where i can download a legitimate iso image of chrome os so i can put it on my little brothers el cheepo pos Toshiba netbook

Mike Frysinger

Oct 27, 2012, 11:49:36 PM10/27/12
to thunde...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Google only builds & releases Chrome OS for official devices.  there is no way to get Chrome OS for unofficial devices.

you can however build Chromium OS for any device you like.  Google still does not build or release those though -- we just publish the source.

your best bet is probably to start at Hexxeh's site:

please consult the FAQ for more details:

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Thunder Moon <thunde...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi I am wondering where i can download a legitimate iso image of chrome os so i can put it on my little brothers el cheepo pos Toshiba netbook

Thunder Moon

Oct 28, 2012, 9:56:01 PM10/28/12
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Ok so theres no iso disk image? Because I don't know how to put img onto a flash drive not on Linux atleast

Tyler Weinhold

Oct 28, 2012, 10:05:56 PM10/28/12
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Here are the instructions for Linux:

1. Extract the IMG file from the downloaded archive (aka http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/)

2. At the shell, run the following (where sdX is your USB stick and ChromeOS.img is the path to the IMG file you extracted): dd if=ChromeOS.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4M

3. Boot from the newly created Chromium OS USB stick!

Cem Simsek

Nov 2, 2012, 6:11:21 AM11/2/12
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Hi Thunder Moon,

If you're on Ubuntu (or Lubuntu) you could also use Imagewriter (tool to writer .img files to usb keys) which you can find in the Ubuntu (or Lubuntu) software centers.

Besides Hexxeh's builds you could also experiment with Dell's Chromium OS builds: http://linux.dell.com/files/cto/

幸運

Ottavio Caruso

Nov 2, 2012, 8:30:17 AM11/2/12
to cemsim...@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org
On 2 November 2012 10:11, Cem Simsek <cemsim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides Hexxeh's builds you could also experiment with Dell's Chromium OS
> builds: http://linux.dell.com/files/cto/

Wow, I didn't know about that. I wish there was a precompiled ARM port too.

Ottavio Caruso

Nov 19, 2012, 1:39:44 PM11/19/12
to chromium-...@chromium.org
On 19 November 2012 02:11, Carputers <carp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wow, I didn't know about that. I wish there was a precompiled ARM port
>> too.
>

> There are: http://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/

Are these your builds? The link for the download instructions doesn't
work. I need extra packages not included in Chromium like for example
cpio, dig, nslookup, and so on.

--
Ottavio

vorcigernix

Nov 23, 2012, 6:50:18 AM11/23/12
to chromium-...@chromium.org
I just want to add that generic x86 is usually worst running from all overlays I tried. On new machines I use Lumpy or Emeraldlake2.

muhammed moh

Feb 19, 2013, 9:12:57 AM2/19/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, thunde...@gmail.com
Hi Mike,
I just found out about Chrome OS Today,
and i want to know if i can use it on my Desktop Pc,
but since you said its only for official google chrome os devices, i got a bit confused with the whole thing.
Tell me what is the different's between Google Chrome OS and Chromium OS?
Because i see that the Chromium OS is available to purchase here: http://linuxos.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&path=28_57&product_id=86
in South Africa.
So i just got a bit confused now when i saw the WikiPedia article and this group....

Please explain to me.
Thanks

A Google Lover!

Feb 19, 2013, 9:15:48 AM2/19/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
I'm a bit confused but i think you can get you a copy of the Chromium here:

Maarten van der Bent

Feb 19, 2013, 9:52:45 AM2/19/13
to muham...@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org
Hi Mohammed,

Cr OS Linux is just a linux-distribution revolving around Google's Chrome browser. It is not a Google product. What you are looking for is Chrome OS and its open-source counterpart Chromium OS.

Chrome OS cannot be downloaded, it is specifically made for Google certified Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. You can, however, download Chromium OS. You can download daily builds from hexxeh (http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/) or from arnoldthebat (http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/chromium-os/). You can write the downloaded image to a USB-stick very easily (instructions are on the given websites. It depends a bit on your hardware configuration whether Chromium OS works, but on my Compaq nc6320 it works almost flawlessly (only some minor trackpad issues). In fact, I am writing this to you from Chromium OS.

Good luck with trying Chromium OS.

2013/2/19 A Google Lover! <muham...@gmail.com>

A Google Lover!

Feb 19, 2013, 11:26:50 AM2/19/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, muham...@gmail.com
Thank you Maarten,
that helped a lot!
really a lot!

I just noticed that you said "writing this to you from Chromium OS."
does that mean your part of the Project?
that is great.

I want to Contact Chromium OS to become an Online world wide Disc vendor.
Can you guide me on how to do that?
Thanks again

Maarten van der Bent

Feb 19, 2013, 11:43:02 AM2/19/13
to muham...@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org
Ha, no you misunderstood, I just meant to say that I use Chromium OS as my main operating system on my laptop, I am in no way involved in the project.

Steve Pirk

Feb 19, 2013, 2:56:06 PM2/19/13
to Maarten van der Bent, muham...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Mohammed,

Chromium OS is open source, and it is not really set up to be sold. Most people that provide pre-built images do not charge for them, and work hard to make their images work on as many systems possible. You could distribute custom builds that are designed to work with specific hardware, but you would need to build them yourself (e.g. special/custom drivers etc).

Harrison Ashley Francis

Mar 12, 2013, 11:13:00 PM3/12/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, muham...@gmail.com, maarte...@gmail.com
I have a Compaq nc6220 I've been thinking of using for this exact reason. Any details I should pay attention to for that device? I know your model is so close that I would appreciate if you had any hints.

Thanks!

Trever

Mar 13, 2013, 3:21:24 AM3/13/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
The conventional wisdom on all of this just changed end of last week.  Google/Chromium.org does now make binary builds available.

Here's the announcement from Mike Frysinger:

moving forward, the tip of tree (ToT) build artifacts from the public
manifest will be marked with public read ACLs.  we most likely won't
retroactively do this (simply because we're lazy), but who wants old
software anyways.

these are baby steps for us, and we hope it'll foster more community
involvement.  rather than random people on the net producing & hosting
their own builds of ChromiumOS, you can grab the amd64-generic or
x86-generic builds that we're already building & hosting.  so if you
have fixes/improvements for the generic builds, then by getting them
merged into the main tree, everyone easily benefits.

this doesn't mean open season on getting anything & everything you
might want in ChromiumOS merged of course.  new packages and features
still go through the same review/approval process.

you can simply browse to the waterfall:
http://build.chromium.org/p/chromiumos/waterfall

pick a builder:
http://build.chromium.org/p/chromiumos/builders/amd64%20generic%20full

pick one of its builds:
http://build.chromium.org/p/chromiumos/builders/amd64%20generic%20full/builds/6980

and look at the Artifacts link at the bottom:
https://storage.cloud.google.com/chromeos-image-archive/amd64-generic-full/R27-3808.0.0-b6980/index.html
(it might ask you to log in ... not sure why, but any random Google
account should work)

then you'll be presented with all the artifacts that the builder
produced.  most people will probably be interested in the
chromiumos_base_image.tar.xz or recovery_image.tar.xz as those contain
the base/recovery images respectively.

note that not every builder produces a "full" set of images.  some
(like the incremental builders) only produce test images.  not a bug !
-mike

Steve Pirk

Mar 13, 2013, 4:03:05 AM3/13/13
to Trever Nightingale, Chromium OS discuss
Wow, just wow. Nice find Trever!

Cloud Han

Mar 14, 2013, 6:58:14 AM3/14/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
When I try to access the latest build #7077, only got:

Error (403)

Access denied.

Mike Frysinger

Mar 14, 2013, 7:00:27 AM3/14/13
to Cloud Han, Chromium OS discuss
the cloud index does not work for non-googlers. you need to use the
index.html file (which will be back up shortly).
-mike

Cloud Han

Mar 14, 2013, 7:25:45 AM3/14/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, Cloud Han
seems the latest one is #6998, which is built 6 days ago. Probably, we need a page lists all publicly available binary packages, instead of just looking into the waterfall / builder lists

Mike Frysinger

Mar 14, 2013, 7:35:39 AM3/14/13
to Cloud Han, Chromium OS discuss
there are no plans to do this
-mike

Maddy

Mar 14, 2013, 8:18:13 AM3/14/13
to heli...@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org
Dear all

             Where can find latest branch for chromiumos

With regards
Maddy

Sent from my iPhone

Steve Klein

May 9, 2013, 2:21:27 AM5/9/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, Cloud Han
Hi Mike,
Hope you can help. I have downloaded the correct file - chromium_base_image but when I burn it to a dvd it simply states a 0.img file that I cant install from. What am I doing wrong ? I use Imgburn to burn the DVD.
Your help is much appreciated.
I am working on a Win 7 machine to create the bootable DVD,
Thanks
Steve

Steve Klein

May 12, 2013, 2:09:38 PM5/12/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Any help here ? I have also tried to put the image on a USB stick with imagewriter and the result is the same :-(
Thanks
Steve

Mike Frysinger

May 12, 2013, 2:43:51 PM5/12/13
to skl...@teleconnect.dk, Chromium OS discuss, Cloud Han
that .bin is not bootable from a dvd. you would have to boot it via USB.
-mike
Message has been deleted

Marcel de Vries

Jul 3, 2013, 6:34:57 AM7/3/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, muham...@gmail.com, maarte...@gmail.com, ashs...@gmail.com
Hello Harrison,

I have also an Compaq6220 of HP. But I dd-ed image ChromiumOS_x86_April15_2012.img and ChromiumOS_x86.img from http://linux.dell.com/files/cto/ on my USB drive but they did'nt boot up. Did you manage to run Chromium OS on the nc6220.

Bhupal Sapkota

Jul 22, 2013, 3:50:28 AM7/22/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Trever, Mike

Tried loading Chromebook Pixel with one of the chromium_base_image.tar.xz (am64 builds) from the waterfall.
But as suggested by Mike on the message - I guess it didn't happen to be a full image. rather it showed chromium os boot screen. Around the account setup screen all graphics got littered/flickered (as if actual content is hiding behind random gray shades of boxes) I couldn't get pass this screen.

Can you suggest one "full" build base image from the waterfall that I can try in Chromebook Pixel ?
I've been testing different OSes in Pixel and have a recovery disk ready in case things go wrong.
Want to test how Chromium OS looks like.

- regards

Chris McFarland

Jul 24, 2013, 6:46:08 AM7/24/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org

Sonny Rao

Jul 24, 2013, 1:49:02 PM7/24/13
to ch...@mcfarland.co.nz, Chromium OS discuss
those are two different types of builders, see the wiki here for details about paladin builders:

so paladin builders are only building packages for the CLs that are going through the commit queue, while full builders are continually rebuilding all packages,  and test things which have already been committed.

Peter Frandsen

Aug 3, 2013, 3:18:47 AM8/3/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, thunde...@gmail.com

Install Chromium, upgrade it to Chrome OS and Dual boot

Chris Masone

Aug 3, 2013, 7:58:19 PM8/3/13
to pfra...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss, thunde...@gmail.com
This has been discussed in another thread, but you cannot "upgrade" Chromium OS to Google Chrome OS: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/chromium-os-discuss/2Y2QxAC93Pw/discussion

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Peter Frandsen <pfra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Install Chromium, upgrade it to Chrome OS and Dual boot

adam geary

William Thrash

Ralph Graham

Oct 26, 2013, 11:35:42 AM10/26/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Download the ISO here its easy and simple:http://getchrome.eu/download

AFTER:
1. Get a blank CD or empty usb stick (if u dont have one, get one from the store)
2. Get imgburn here:http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
3. After imgburn is installed open imgburn click on "burn image file to disk"
4. Where it says "Source" click the folder thing and browse the ISO file you downloaded
5. Click the bottom button(should look like the image below)
6. Now it will take a while to burn the disk(dont x out of the program or shutdown your computer)
7. After burning is complete take out the CD and put in back in just to refresh
8. Reboot your computer and tada! A menu will come up to say if you want to install chrome OS!

Chris Masone

Oct 26, 2013, 2:51:36 PM10/26/13
to ralphg...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
The ISO at that link is _not_ Google Chrome OS, or even Chromium OS. It's some third-party Linux distribution that has no connection with Google at all.

Google Chrome OS is not available for download, as has been discussed on this list before.

highlev...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2013, 7:37:46 AM10/27/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org, ralphg...@gmail.com
Chrome OS recovery images are available, and it's possible to install them on top of a Chromium OS installation:

http://zzsethzz.blogspot.nl/2013/02/install-chromium-upgrade-it-to-chrome.html

Chris Masone

Oct 27, 2013, 11:45:47 AM10/27/13
to highlev...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss, Ralph Graham
That is still not Google Chrome OS. I provided a reference upthread to a longer discussion we had about this question.

Isky Hassan

Oct 30, 2013, 5:27:54 AM10/30/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Chris, you should take the time to read through before what's on the link before commenting. The link posted by highlev shows how to download Chrome OS recovery images via Chromium OS shell, which are the actual Chrome OS images from Google for the respective chromebooks. They won't work on all hardware, nor will they turn your machine into actual chromebooks, but if you can get it to work, you will have Chrome OS, not Chromium OS.

Mike Frysinger

Oct 30, 2013, 11:37:09 AM10/30/13
to isk...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
no, you won't.  you'll still have ChromiumOS.  extracting a few bits from ChromeOS images does not turn ChromiumOS into ChromeOS.
-mike

Maarten van der Bent

Oct 30, 2013, 2:23:03 PM10/30/13
to Mike Frysinger, isk...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
It is actually Chrome OS, Mike! It's not a few scripts, it replaces the entire Chromium OS with a recovery file from Google. I tried it a few times and it works, but sadly my wireless doesn't work with official Chrome OS.

Chris Masone

Oct 30, 2013, 3:59:38 PM10/30/13
to maarte...@gmail.com, Mike Frysinger, isk...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
No, Maarten, it isn't Google Chrome OS. Google Chrome OS receives automatic updates, has a secure ("verified") boot process, uses a hardware-backed store for the cryptographic keys that protect user data, leverages hardware in all Chrome devices to get HD content from Netflix and the like, etc etc etc.

Your device, even after running this script, will not have any of these features.

Maarten van der Bent

Oct 30, 2013, 4:51:35 PM10/30/13
to Chris Masone, Mike Frysinger, isk...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Well, you have a different definition of Chrome OS then. The system indeed doesn't do a verified boot (it will actually show a warning on startup that the machine could not be verified), there are no automatic updates and obviously there is no Chrome OS hardware. But it is actually Google's proprietary software you're running on your machine and not open source Chromium OS. I.e. you will have native PDF, Flash, OpenGL and Hangouts support, your media player will play most formats, you'll have a calculator and all those other apps Google only includes in its proprietary Chrome OS, you'll have Google's colourful Chrome logo, you can choose Google backgrounds, etc.

Chris Masone

Oct 30, 2013, 5:10:06 PM10/30/13
to Maarten van der Bent, Mike Frysinger, iskysan, Chromium OS discuss
As a long-time member of the Chrome OS team (as Mike is as well), I'm comfortable with my definition of what constitutes the product I work on.

Having Flash, the PDF plugin and all that other stuff does not mean that you get the autoupdates, security features and other things I mentioned above. As those are key features of Google Chrome OS, the thing you're talking about is not Google Chrome OS.

Ernesto Garcia

Nov 19, 2013, 1:35:50 AM11/19/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
if you find google won't work try ubuntu stdio. Its linux based download software from ubuntu software center, and comes with all the software needed to make videos images music and more. Just run a google search for first things I did after installing ubuntu xx.xx(if you download version 13.04 fill the x's with 13.04 or what ever version. I would suggest 12.04). Look through the explanations and install the things you think apply to you. Using the terminal almost seemed faster to me, most instructions you'll get on ubuntu will show how to use the GUI interface with ubuntu software center as well as what to type into the terminal to download the same software. A side note too, ubuntu-restricted- extras is a must if you want to watch youtube videos on it at least. Thats what I use on my pos toshiba. I edit movies music make 3d models find new stuff to use in the terminal and of course regular use works. Ubuntu just studio just allows you to learn whatever want, software is already there. OS is light weight so it runs well on old computers. Im looking to upgrade soon though but still use ubuntu studio off a thumb drive for the simple fact usually expensive software is free on linux usually or equivalent

Abhirav Kumar

Apr 11, 2014, 4:49:35 PM4/11/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org
I know this is going to sound very silly
But since it's an unofficial release will it get updates from chrome or everytime i need a major bug fix i will need to install the newer version from scratch

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:56:01 PM UTC-5, Thunder Moon wrote:
Ok so theres no iso disk image? Because I don't know how to put img onto a flash drive not on Linux atleast

Mike Frysinger

Apr 11, 2014, 5:39:48 PM4/11/14
to akab...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
chromium os has the technical capability to update itself.  however, the infrastructure for serving those updates is not provided by anyone currently afaik.  so you'd have to:
 - get the new version you want to update to
 - generate the delta update payloads yourself
 - then run your own update server
 - point your local chromium os instance to that update server
 - let the system update itself

while all of the code is released to do this, i'm not sure it's well documented for someone to easily follow.  we'd love if someone documented things :), but our priorities atm are more aligned along feature development :(.
-mike

Tony Ditchfield

Apr 12, 2014, 12:55:34 PM4/12/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org

Daniel De Luca

Channel Jany

Apr 25, 2016, 7:32:10 PM4/25/16
to Chromium OS discuss
I found something like this today. Have fun.

recovery.conf

Valdomir, Roberto A.

Apr 25, 2016, 9:39:35 PM4/25/16
to channe...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss

I have already tried something like that with a script I found on the web but it didn't work.

Also tried by hand, but there is a problem with the partitions.

So I gave up and went to Arnold's compilations.

​Regards,

Roberto A. Valdomir
Mobile: (+598) 93 868 147 | Skype: roberto.a.valdomir
@roberto.valdomir | re.vu/robertovaldomir

Sent from my mobile