kernel version is -dirty

Marc Herbert

Dec 11, 2017, 12:53:52 PM12/11/17
to Chromium OS dev, michael...@intel.com
Hi,

With any official image:

dmesg | grep version

=> 4.4.96-12193-g3e4eb6ada739-dirty (for example)

We hit this issue in our internal builds too. In our case it was caused by:
1. building a *copy* of the kernel tree +
2. a 2013 regression in kernel/scripts/setlocalversion: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=cdf2bc632ebc9ef51

More information in this October git newsletter: https://git.github.io/rev_news/2017/10/11/edition-32/ ; scroll down to "BUG in git diff-index"

In our builds Mike worked around this issue by running git update-index --refresh after copying any kernel tree.

Marc

Marc Herbert

May 25, 2018, 3:50:22 PM5/25/18
to Chromium OS Development, michael...@intel.com
Mike found an interesting setlocalversion fix when building in a copy:

  if git -c "core.checkstat=minimal" diff-index HEAD

I noticed the -dirty ness problem disappeared in official builds, anyone knows what it was and how it was addressed?

Marc
This conversation is locked