'cros deploy' should install a package, right?

Bryan Freed

Feb 8, 2016, 4:01:29 PM2/8/16
to Chromium OS dev
But I have tried a couple different packages on a couple different targets, and they all fail with:

Exception during output capturing: RunCommandError("cwd=None, extra env={'LC_MESSAGES': 'C'}", <chromite.lib.cros_build_lib.CommandResult object at 0x7fc2aa30ff50>, None)
 :
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "chromeos-base/libchrome:369476[cros-debug]".
(dependency required by "chromeos-base/power_manager-9999::chromiumos" [binary])
(dependency required by "/usr/local/tmp/cros-deploy/tmp.PvyisgUzzL/packages/chromeos-base/power_manager-9999.tbz2" [argument])
12:51:11: ERROR: Failed to emerge package power_manager-9999.tbz2
 :

In this case, I first emerged power_manager, then tried 'cros deploy 100.107.3.170 power_manager'.

It has been a while since I used cros deploy, but I think I have the right tool.
I will sync up and try again...
Has anyone else seen this?

bryan.

Mike Frysinger

Feb 8, 2016, 5:03:03 PM2/8/16
to Bryan Freed, Chromium OS dev
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "chromeos-base/libchrome:369476[cros-debug]".

you need to make sure you have that version of libchrome installed or at least available to install.  further, you'll want to make sure you have one built with USE=cros-debug enabled ... if you have a mismatch between debug/release in that lib, then apps can fail to start or crash during runtime.
-mike

Bryan Freed

Feb 8, 2016, 5:13:25 PM2/8/16
to Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev
Not sure how I got out of sync on this...
I synced up last week, built, installed, then today discovered cros deploy was not working.

Gwendal pointed out the --deep flag to cros deploy which will install dependencies.  It asks if I want to install about 50 packages.
I will opt to rebuild the image.

Thanks guys,

bryan.

Julius Werner

Mar 1, 2016, 7:44:12 PM3/1/16
to Bryan Freed, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev
Ran into the same issue today. For the record, the only way to get it
to deploy to a DUT that throws this error (such as one flashed with a
canary image) is to rerun build_packages with --nowithdebug. That will
remove the USE=cros-debug flag from all the emerged packages on your
host so they match the ones on the DUT.

Dylan Reid

Mar 1, 2016, 7:57:11 PM3/1/16
to Julius Werner, Bryan Freed, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Julius Werner <jwe...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Ran into the same issue today. For the record, the only way to get it
> to deploy to a DUT that throws this error (such as one flashed with a
> canary image) is to rerun build_packages with --nowithdebug. That will
> remove the USE=cros-debug flag from all the emerged packages on your
> host so they match the ones on the DUT.

When did this change and why? Thanks for the workaround it's been
driving me insane for a few weeks.

Mike Frysinger

Mar 1, 2016, 10:52:46 PM3/1/16
to Dylan Reid, Julius Werner, Bryan Freed, Chromium OS dev
USE=cros-debug behavior shouldn't have changed.  for local builds, all packages by default should be built with USE=cros-debug.
-mike
This conversation is locked